Home door lock and open kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I am interested in getting a kit (or piece by piece if needed) that will unlock my house door and open it as well. I'd like to be able to let my dogs outside while I am away. I have an IP camera that will be able to watch them while they go outside and to make sure they come back in, I just need the door open.

I have seen lockitron and that looks great but I need it to open the door as well, not just unlock it. Also, it needs to be wireless (minus the power cable for the door opener). Any ideas? Any setups that are good that I should copy? Thanks.

xukusari

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
If you know a bit of programming you could put something together with multiple Raspberry Pi's.

You can install a small wireless NIC and attach it to your door to have a motor push or pull the door after lockitron unlocks it.

bill001g

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
A door opener is not a cheap thing they are many times sold for home use for people with handicap.

I bet it will be much simpler to use a dog door that has those automated collars locks and replace it with some form of release you can control with a PC.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I'm sure I could figure it out. My only question is about the motor to push/pull the door open. Plus, it would be better if there weren't two separate signals, i.e. one signal to lockitron to unlock it and one signal to the motor to pull it. It'd be great if it was one kit. I can foresee issues with the motor pulling a bit before the lockitron signal opens and causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.