Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Alright I plan on getting a turn table and some vinyl; I know 2 channel is better than 5 channel for listening to music, so my question is, is setting up a 2 channel system for music the same as 5 channel basically? My plan was a very nice pair of speakers, sub, and a/v receiver for the amp. Now thats all I'm going to need correct? And could I possibly in the future upgrade that to 5.1 if I wanted to? but obviously for dvd watching.

Solution
5 channel is a waste of time. It is not natural and musical sounding whereas 2 channel is.get a speaker that is full range without the sub which is not important at all.You will be set with a good table and an integrated tube amp or sold state.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
5 channel is a waste of time. It is not natural and musical sounding whereas 2 channel is.get a speaker that is full range without the sub which is not important at all.You will be set with a good table and an integrated tube amp or sold state.

Solution

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Got any recommendations for speakers and amp? I would also like to be able to play what .flac music I have from computer also, because I know I wont be able to afford that much vinyl. Do av receivers work as amps or not? I thought that they did ,but from what you are saying it seems like they don't. I was looking to spend about $1500 on a/v receiver and 5 channel set up before I did some reading and I'm very glad that I didn't, but I do have cash to blow this set up. I would like a nice pair of headphones too, but I already have those picked out and I already have a nice sound card for my computer.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Recievers are a combination of amp preamp and tuner so you won't need an additional amp. Of course when they are split into individual components the quality (and cost) can be much higher.
Dave

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Go to a site called audiogon and read about stereos and what is compatible for your needs.

If you have digital media with surround sound
(like movies, DVDs) then 5 channel is the ideal choice

If you have classic 2 channel stereo media (like CDs, LPs) then 2 channel is the ideal choice.

Please don't knock surround sound, cause it's great, and it sounds killer, like a movie theater. There is nothing to complain about.

It all has to do with your choice of media.

Now in the category of 2 channel stereo hi fi, there is nothing better than a tube amp, such as Mac Intosh.
And in the choice of speakers there is nothing better than the classics, such as Klipsch, Electrovoice, Magna Pan, Dahlquist, Quad, Wharfdale, etc...

The reality being that the little speakers and transistor amps sold today can't touch the classics.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah well I'd like true surround sound eventually like in a few years. Realistically I would like to start off with a nice 2 channel for my music right now and eventually build onto it into a 5 channel for surround sound, is that doable?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Anything is doable when you have money to buy stereo gear.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
How about an HK reciever with simulated surround sound? SG man I had some EV speakers in the late 70's and the Advents I replaced them with blew them away. And I had a buddy with Maggies and they were so much better than my Advents.
Running some DCM Time Windows now.
Dave

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I had maggies all my life and they are great sounding and musical. Not a box speaker sound at all.