Home Speakers

RikuMichaels

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hey guys.

At home, i currently have a custom sound system that I have hooked up to my computer using RCA cables, a mixer (powering two 100w speakers), and two stereo units (One powering two 50ws, and the other two 60ws). They're all different brands.

Is it possible for me to use this total of 6 speakers in a surround setup? One of these can be used as as subwoofer, so would I be able to get Surround sound? If yes, can someone please give me a step-by-step guide of how to do it? I'm a little nooby when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thank you :)

Riku

Solution
That motherboard for sure has surround(7.1). But the problem with motherboard, output wise, is that it doesn't have the separate output channels. So HDMI or optical is your only option. Your mixer( fun little mixer but I didn't see any optical inputs) and maybe your stereos are analog. Not a bad Z68 motherboard for the price but they skimped on a few things like the outputs. Also, I assume you have played around with the sound settings on you computer. You should see outputs center/sub, front speakers and rear speakers.

So a couple of options; you can install a sound card with the correct outputs(but you will still need the 1/8 cables to rca(or whatever to hook up to whatever device). It gets kinda confusing when you mix computers with...

You can use these for a surround setup. I have a bunch of Hifi speakers and amps set up this way. The problem is you need a surround sound processor(pre-amp, for example or your computer) to hook these all into to get surround sound.

For example, source is inputted to the surround processor, then out putted to the mixer, stereo units and amps to power the speakers.
Also, you can use the computer as the surround processor( depending on computer), source(dvd player, computer), out put to the amps.

More information is needed on the computer. Does it have surround sound capability etc, model of computer, sound card and etc. Also, info on the mixer and stereo units would help a lot.

Happy Listening, the Prisoner.

RikuMichaels

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Surround sound capability, I'm not sure, it's a Gigabyte GAZ68AP-D3 motherboard, I have no separate sound card, I use the built in on the motherboard. Mixer is a Phonic PowerPod620, i'm using the RCA input and output on the front, and the 1/4inch output too, with a 1/4 to RCA adapter. Stereos I have no idea of the model number as they are both over 15 years old.

That motherboard for sure has surround(7.1). But the problem with motherboard, output wise, is that it doesn't have the separate output channels. So HDMI or optical is your only option. Your mixer( fun little mixer but I didn't see any optical inputs) and maybe your stereos are analog. Not a bad Z68 motherboard for the price but they skimped on a few things like the outputs. Also, I assume you have played around with the sound settings on you computer. You should see outputs center/sub, front speakers and rear speakers.

So a couple of options; you can install a sound card with the correct outputs(but you will still need the 1/8 cables to rca(or whatever to hook up to whatever device). It gets kinda confusing when you mix computers with home stereo devices.

Or the other option is to get a digital to analog converter using the digital output from your computer. A sound card is cheaper.

As a person that uses some good quality speakers and amps the sound is far superior to computer speakers so it's a good project to undertake.

Happy surrounding, the Prisoner.

Solution