Homeland Security Testing 'Crime Predicting' Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
So they want to make a machine that scans you and tells the operator "this guy will probably commit a crime". I don't know why, but I suddenly am a bit more worried about our future.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Do you imagine how the police will stop you with the words "Hey mister, you are under arrest for the murder you are about to make" hahhaha

"Excuse me sir, could you lay on the ground with hands behind your back, cause you are about to rape the fat lady over there in 17 minutes" hahahaha

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
"Sir, the machine said you were about to commit a crime, please put your hands behind your back"

In reality I'm sure you would then be moved to a screening line, still scary imo.

Who are the scumbags responsible for working on this technology? Get a real job.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
After an insect got stuck in your eye:

"Don't move, put your hands behind your back sir....sir, sir, don't make me shoot, the machine said that you're blinking in a strange way, so on the ground mothafu**a"

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
The lazily named "Future Attribute Screening Technology," or FAST program, tracks body language, vocal pitch, eye moment and blink rate, even body temperature using infrared sensors and pressure pads.
Great. Now you will be brought for questioning every time you are trying to control your diarrhea.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Same principal as photo radar for traffic enforcement. The constitution says you have the right to face your accuser. How do you do that if it's a machine.

G

Actually Minority Report was pretty weak.

The first time I watched it, it seemed great. Then I bought it and watched it again. Yeah, really lame action sequences, gross-out parts that seem completely pointless, awkward over-dramatic acting by the mind-predicty-girl, and R-rated violence which somehow squeaked a PG rating, such as footage of a woman being viciously drowned to death, or stabbed to death, being shown over and over, and over.

It's not that good.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Come on, this is madness. The man who doesn't break a single law is a dead man. People who think up this kind of measures should have their own heads examined first.
"The FAST program is entirely voluntary ...", so they advise people - American citizens - to give up their rights voluntarily, instead of trying to protect them... really nice...
The Wright brothers wouldn't have invented the airplane if they knew what will become of air travel.

G

and what about those people with personality disorders such as AvPD, social phobia, schizoid or just people with a general nervous disposition. surely they will be constantly harassed by this sort of tech making it even harder for them to be a part of society.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"it's probable that FAST will ultimately go the way of attempts to create a missile defense system during the George W. Bush administration."...
There IS a missile defense system, currently being deployed in east-European states (some former communist states), and it is not contributing to regional stability.
So, looks like this crazy FAST program will come to effect, and from the looks of everything lately, rather sooner than later. We have forgot our ways...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]Same principal as photo radar for traffic enforcement. The constitution says you have the right to face your accuser. How do you do that if it's a machine.[/citation]
Not the same; the radar gets your photo AFTER you ran the red light or sped past the legal limit. This one assumes you are guilty before doing anything.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
This will epically fail when there are tones of people who have developed anxiety, stress or any other symptom this system looks for, due to big ridiculous line ups in airport caused by this machine.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
In my opinion, DHS and the government in general uses the Freedom of Information Act as an excuse to do whatever they want entirely too much.

I am only speaking for myself, but as a man of Arab descent I am always stressed when going through security at the airport. By that logic, this new toy DHS has will single me out and cause me to be and look even more stressed sending up more warnings to the system...see the circular logic there?

I was on board with the scanners (except that one time when they thought the deodorant I had put on was an explosive) but behavioral prediction based on psychophisiological readings is a terrible idea. Not to mention the fact that a "True Believer" zealot would not exhibit these psychophisiological responses as they welcome the opportunity to die for their faith.

/stepoffsoapbox

Status
Not open for further replies.