Homeless People Turned into Walking Wi-Fi Hotspots

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamethrower205

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
"Many people on Twitter have labeled it degrading or exploitative."

There will always be the bunch that defend an arbitrary set of "morals" because they have no touch with reality. After all, sitting outside in the cold begging for a quarter and getting hassled police has never made a homeless person feel degraded.

This seems like a nice project, I support it. Perhaps this will even provide that initial push to help some turn their lives around.

G

Im conflicted. I was homeless (a traveler, 18+ countries) for the better part of 11 years, and was always looking for work (and I always found it) - so I think this is ok for folks needing money. However, its bad in the sense that it for all intensive purposes turns people into intimate objects.

Still torn on this, and as someone deeply involved in the technology community, as well as having been 'homeless' in many countries, albeit teaching workshops on linux, wifi technology (am currently working internal IT and have a house that I own)- I'd say that overall, this is neither a good or a bad thing. It is what it is.

One caveat: PLEASE, potential hiring agencies/recruiters- try to not hire obviously strung-out people. Its hard to determine, but, lets not fuel obvious abusers of hard drugs' addictions. Another hard one, because many home-owning, so-called "responsible members of society" abuse drugs and the houseless/homeless are scapegoated constantly for this, unfairly.

Hobo-hotspot here we come, this is our dystopian future.....

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
"Many people on Twitter have labeled it degrading or exploitative."
HOW DARE THEY GIVE THEM JOBS, THOSE WORTHLESS EXPLOITING BASTARDS!!

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
"degrading or exploitative" really? it's called money in thier pocket. If I was homeless I would gladly do it. Hell I would do it right now! I think the morons calling it degrading should donate 50 bucks to those people and relive them of their hotspottedness.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The only complaint I could see from this is that it is discriminating, not that I'm complaining. I'm sure non-homeless people would do this as well. I don't see the job as any more demeaning than those people waving signs on the sidewalks, trash collectors and many other jobs.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The only complaint I could see from this is that it is discriminating, not that I'm complaining. I'm sure non-homeless people would do this as well. I don't see the job as any more demeaning than those people waving signs on the sidewalks, trash collectors and many other jobs.[/citation]

Exactly, and there isn't really a surplus of jobs right now anyway.

Devoteicon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
-They get paid (quite well I might add)
-They get clean clothes to wear
-They provide a service
-They have better interactions with people besides the same old "Get a life, bum" remark
-Did I mention they get paid?

How is any of that considered degrading and cruel?

G

The problem i see is "$20" for a days work. Minimum wage violation anyone?

Devoteicon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]invizibleyez[/nom]The problem i see is "$20" for a days work. Minimum wage violation anyone?[/citation]

A minimum of $50 plus they get to keep whatever donations they raise. At $2 for fifteen minutes that can add up to well over $100 in a single day. And there's really no work involved. Just walking and sitting around which they were already doing. I'm still seeing no problems with this idea.

justxeno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
[citation][nom]invizibleyez[/nom]The problem i see is "$20" for a days work. Minimum wage violation anyone?[/citation]
you should learn to comprehend what you are reading, it says a minimum 50 dollars, 20 is paid upfront and they can keep any donations.
I'm out of work at the minute and would do it.

G

If the homeless themselves are HAPPY to do this . . .who are all these homed-assholes to tell everyone it's degrading!? They're working, for money, and providing a VALUABLE service to the public. People are incredibly stupid, imo.

G

Addendum: if you complain about this, donate your money to the homeless. Otherwise, stfu and let them work. I'd rather them not be panhandling.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Last time I went to Las Vegas, I saw a homeless man holding a sign saying "WHY LIE!? I NEED BEER!!" Maybe now it'll be "NEED WI-FI!? I NEED BEER!!"

G

Wait, let me see if I have this right:

- An ad agency provides temp jobs to homeless people that requires little to no training
- They are allowed to keep 100% of their tips
- The homeless people involved voluntarily took on the work

... and people are complaining about it??? REALLY???

Status
Not open for further replies.