Honda's Hybrid Sports Coupe Arrives Q3 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The latest model also pays homage to the awesome CR-X from the 80's and 90's

Are we thinking of the same CR-X? I thought that car was pure vomit... Not pure sex... To each his own though.

I still think hybrid sports cars are very necessary though (albeit a saddening one).

MrHorspwer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Way to botch this one up, Honda!

Take one of your most iconic and storied models, the CRX, and turn it into a bloated, hybrid "sports coupe". 161 inches is over a foot longer than the original CRX. It will, in all likelyhood, be 1,500 lbs. heavier too. This is worse than what the VW GTI has become.

Didn't Honda already try the "hybrid assist" concept on another vehicle? That's right... the Accord had a simialr system. Oh wait, the Accord Hybrid was cancled because nobody really got the idea of a hybrid system boosting performance, rather than increasing fuel economy.

The most tragic of all: At 29/35 MPG (per the EPA), a 1988 CRX's fuel economy probably isn't that far from what this new CR-Z will be getting.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I agree. Most of these hybrids are a joke. I drive a '07 Honda Civic Coupe LX. I get 36 MPG on AVERAGE, and I tend to cruise the highways between 80 - 95 MPH (yeah, I'm a lead-foot, so sue me). When I'm ready to buy a new car in a couple of years, I think I'll just give this one to my daughter and get a Civic SI. They can keep the hybrid.

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
honda fanboys get upset when outsiders spell VTEC wrong. but usually we get VTECH (like the phone), but this is the first time i've seen "VETEC"

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]MrHorspwer[/nom]Way to botch this one up, Honda!Take one of your most iconic and storied models, the CRX, and turn it into a bloated, hybrid "sports coupe". 161 inches is over a foot longer than the original CRX. It will, in all likelyhood, be 1,500 lbs. heavier too. This is worse than what the VW GTI has become. Didn't Honda already try the "hybrid assist" concept on another vehicle? That's right... the Accord had a simialr system. Oh wait, the Accord Hybrid was cancled because nobody really got the idea of a hybrid system boosting performance, rather than increasing fuel economy. The most tragic of all: At 29/35 MPG (per the EPA), a 1988 CRX's fuel economy probably isn't that far from what this new CR-Z will be getting.[/citation]
The Accord Hybrid failed because the only difference between the regular Accord and the hybrid Accord was the badge on the side. Since back then when they released it, most people buying hybrids simply used them as a status symbol, but since you couldnt tell it was a hybrid at first glance, it didnt give these people the visibility they wanted. So people bought the Prius which gave these high-minded people the green-cred they desired. Its all a shame anyway. The production of the car itself consumes so much more resources than a normal car that you have to own and drive the car for years before it beings worth it to the environment. The problem with that is the people buying these cars will get a new one in 2 years anyway, which makes their buying a hybrid only a token gesture in the first place.

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Nice looking car, but I buy my vehicles when they're 2-3yrs old @50-65% of new cost and keep them for a long time. That strategy won't work with hybrids and their expensive batteries that don't age well, so no thanks. If they make an AWD version, keep the 6 speed and lose the hybrid, then I'd be interested.

G

My 1991 Honda CRX Si (220,000 miles) still gets 38mpg on the highway, even after I installed a cone filter intake, 4-2-1 header, and 60mm stainless exhaust system. Plus it gained 10-15 hp (over the stock 108) and will accelerate smartly w/o downshifting while doing 80 in 5th gear. Why should I pay $20-25K for a new car that will get less MPG, have a lower-tech suspension (MacPherson struts and a rear torsion beam? Bleh!), and a worse hp/weight ratio? Assuming my 2150# car currently makes 120hp and the estimate for the CR-Z is 2850#, it would have to have at least 160hp (140+20 for engine & electric motor) to reach parity. You will not get 140hp out of the L15 engine, you'd have to use the R18 from the Civic or the old 1.6 liter DOHC ZC or B16A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS