hook up flat screen to speakers

jcwrightjr

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
i have a flat screen tv i would like to hook up to my stereo speakers. the tv has a 3.5mm headphone audio out and a Digital audio Output jack. i think i need a go between amplifier. any help appreciated.

Solution
The headphone out will work with any amplifier whether is has RCA or 3.5mm input. You just need the correct cable. The headphone out can be higher than the input of an amp will accept without causing overload distortion so you would start with the TV volume all the way down and the amp volume at about 12 o'clock Then turn up the TV volume until is is pretty much as loud as you would ever use it. If the TV volume is to high you will hear distortion at any volume you play the amp.
You might consider getting a surround sound receiver (new or used one) that will have optical inputs. It would sound better and allow you to expand the system when you could. An older non-HDMI receiver would not be expensive. Check Craigslist, garage sales, and...
The headphone out will work with any amplifier whether is has RCA or 3.5mm input. You just need the correct cable. The headphone out can be higher than the input of an amp will accept without causing overload distortion so you would start with the TV volume all the way down and the amp volume at about 12 o'clock Then turn up the TV volume until is is pretty much as loud as you would ever use it. If the TV volume is to high you will hear distortion at any volume you play the amp.
You might consider getting a surround sound receiver (new or used one) that will have optical inputs. It would sound better and allow you to expand the system when you could. An older non-HDMI receiver would not be expensive. Check Craigslist, garage sales, and thrift shops.

Solution