Hooking up newer subwoofer to old phono receiver for turntable

Manslew

Estimable
May 24, 2015
Hi there, first time poster long time lurker. I was just given a really nice but older Sherwood PD-913R turntable and a phono friendly RX-664V receiver (pictures of front and back will both be included) I desperately want to get this thing working so I can check out all my old records but I am a complete newbie with all of this hardware. Im pretty sure I can get this thing working without much issue but im a bit confused about how to hook up my newer subwoofer. The model is SS-WG450 from the Sony MHC-GX450 audio system (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHC-GX450-3-Disc-Discontinue...).

I know that most subwoofers have a grounding wire that wraps around the back of old receiver grounding spots but my particular subwoofer has a special grounding plug that goes specifically into the sony reciever. My question is, can I modify/cut the grounding plug of the subwoofer so I could reveal the wires to wrap and ground it to my older phono-friendly reciever? Im going to attach pictures of the subwoofer back and front in question as well as the turntable and older reciever. Sorry if im not using correct terminology, Im very VERY new to audio hardware and im learning as I go along.

http://imgur.com/gBlU7RA,9Xb3pcU,JxDO6fn,GZ2nvFL,xx1bnZ...

The turntable connects to the phono input and the turntable ground wire may need to be connected to the ground post. If you get less hum with it disconnected then leave it that way. Your links are to the turntable not the sub.
Your sub doesn't have a grounding plug according to the Sony manual.
It does have a line level input so this would connect to the sub out on the receiver but without the control input connection which sends power to the internal amp it won't play.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dh100592 Audio 0
Smackiepipe Audio 6
Askalpone Audio 0
C Audio 1
G Audio 1
S Audio 2
S Audio 2
A Audio 4
Null895 Audio 1
F Audio 2
F Audio 3