Solved! Hooking up older receiver to new Tv.

Sep 6, 2019
I have a htr 5630 yamaha receiver
4a32318e8a9ed74a5d1f9dc1eaad9829.jpg

that i want to hook up to my new Samsung - 43" Class - LED - 7 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
a4a0b7dd6350cfd1d6ef012d7bdba38e.jpg

Now if i hook it up with analog cables nothing happens. So what do i need to make it work with sound and picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solution
The only audio output your TV seems to have is digital optical audio. Your receiver has an optical input so connect the TV there. Check the TV manual on how to turn on the optical output. You may have to turn the TV speakers off.
Use the component video outputs of the DVD/CD to get picture to the TV. Use the coax digital audio output to get sound to the receiver.
Sep 6, 2019
I wanted to add that i have a Sony DVP-NC675p CD/DVD Player that i want to hook up to receiver too and have it all work on smart tv.
cad3fab31fe4b4608aa261433c1c1610.jpg

The only audio output your TV seems to have is digital optical audio. Your receiver has an optical input so connect the TV there. Check the TV manual on how to turn on the optical output. You may have to turn the TV speakers off.
Use the component video outputs of the DVD/CD to get picture to the TV. Use the coax digital audio output to get sound to the receiver.

Reactions: CMaddox
Solution
Sep 6, 2019
Thanks, (The only audio output your TV seems to have is digital optical audio. Your receiver has an optical input so connect the TV there.)
So what you are saying for Audio i need would need like a Toslink cable?

Connecting with just the RCA cables running from the receiver for video and audio will not work right?

I was thinking i might of needed a RCA to HTML converter https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Am...argid=aud-800640527683:pla-662235628062&psc=1

No converters required.
You would need a toslink cable to get audio from the TV to the receiver.
You would need a component video cable to get video from the DVD to the TV.
You would need a coax digital audio cable to get audio from the DVD to the receiver.
You could add an analog audio cable from the DVD/CD to the receiver that you would select when you play CDs. That way you wouldn't have to change the surround mode on the receiver when going from video to music.

Reactions: CMaddox
Sep 6, 2019
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me. I got the Toslink cable in mail hooked it up and changed the tv to optical and reread though the manual of the receiver but did not see anything on how to switch to the optical for sound.
https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf/20..._htr5630.pdf?58f50f924daaa350e91292abf06c03bb

I have not hooked up the dvd play, thought i would forgo that till i can get the tv sound figured out first.

Sep 6, 2019
Ok don’t laugh but i put the tv back on the Tv speaker. I Was ready to give up when i hit CD on the receiver. The speakers came on and the tv speaker all have sound. So all three speakers are working. Go figure! [emoji23][emoji23]