Hooking up Samsung Smart TV to Old Onkyo Receiver (non-hdmi receiver)

Joshoowa63

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I'm experiencing issues hooking up Samsung smart tv to older (non-hdmi) Onkyo receiver. I cant get any sound from the speakers via optical cable from TV to Receiver. I've searched all the settings on the Tv and receiver and changes the TV back and forth to Optical cable output. Really in need of help, would like to keep this receiver and make it all work. Models listed below:
Samsung uhd6300
Onkyo TX-DS474
Enegy 5.1 surround sound system

Joshoowa63

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Joshoowa63

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
There is digital 1, digital 2 and analog and I have switched between them all and tried every combination of modes (ie DVD, CD, Video 1, Video 2) there is on the receiver. Do I need connection besides just an optical cable?
In my audio settings on my Samsung it only gives me the choice of TV speaker or Bluetooth or optical cable. When I choose optical cable I get no sound. I hooked up a DVD player directly to the receiver and I do get sound through the onkyo receiver.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audio 1
F Audio 2
FirstLast1234 Audio 8
3 Audio 1
P Audio 1
R Audio 1
M Audio 2
C Audio 1
B Audio 2
P Audio 2
N Audio 1
C Audio 4
B Audio 2
D Audio 1
E Audio 4
M Audio 1
M Audio 1
H Audio 5
B Audio 2
P Audio 1
Similar threads
Question How can you hook up a Samsung subwoofer to a BW LED SPK M speaker to the back of my computer tower?
Solved! HELP: How to hook up TVEars Analog to Samsung Smart TV, w/no Audio Out or Earphones
Question I have a Samsung Q80R. The audio works fine when it's hooked up to my computer, but when I hook it up to my TV, it's extremely quiet. Why?
Solved! How can I hook up Samsung TV HDMI to alpine head unit with ai inpuy
Solved! i have a samsung smart tv and a soundbar. i would like to hook up a blue ray dvd and a wireless head set do i need a 3way opti
Solved! I hooked Phillips stereo to samsung smart TV for surround sound, but get no sound only humming how to fix?
How to hook up samsung smart tv model UA40J5200AKXXS to LG SOUNDBAR SK5Y
Solved! I have a old Bose lifestyle 5 I would like to hook up to my new Samsung smart TV
Solved! How to hook up Samsung soundbar to rca tv and Android box...tv doesn't have a optical port..
Solved! hooking up old yamaha receiver to newer Samsung tv
Solved! How do I hook up a frisby surround sound to a Samsung smart tv
Solved! How do you hook up headphones to a Samsung uhdt tv 7 series that does not have audio output?
Need help Hooking up my Samsung sound bar to my element TV
Hooking up a Samsung TV to a Sony soundbar and subwoofer
How to hook up my Yamaha HTR 5860 receiver to Samsung LED Smart TV for surround sound ?
hooking up a coby surround sound to a new samsung suhd 4k smart tv.
Samsung Sound Bar Hook Up Vizio TV
How to hook up a bluetooth sound bar to my samsung smart tv w/o wires
Hooking up Samsung Smart TV to Old Onkyo Receiver (non-hdmi receiver)
how do i hook bluetooth on samsung smart tv to hearing aid bluetooth

ASK THE COMMUNITY