Horizon Forbidden West on PC is one of the best-looking games ever — but I’m having two major issues with it

brandxbeer

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
For the micro stutter. Did you try forcing on vsync in Nvidia control panel for the game and making sure it's off in game? That is usually a quick fix. Using frame gen this is almost mandatory. Also try the different scaling options within your Nvidia control panel. Putting it on no scaling will sometimes help with odd aspect ratio issues. Hope this helps.

Reactions: d0x360

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Hmm I definitely agree it's solid looking but definitely not the best and Sony definitely didn't have nixxes enhance the visuals over PS5 beyond the ability to pick resolution.

The texture quality is essentially identical as is draw distance, lighting, shadows etc. I was kinda hoping for SOME enhanced assets or RT lighting/shadows but I also know Sony still kinda fears putting games on PC especially if they show up the console in a major way even if it's helping their bottom line (especially when people like me buy both) but I also hope they have fully embraced PC so the stuff they release in 2025 has more PC style punch to it.

As for performance I'm on a 7950x3d and 4090 and the game has no issues running maxed at 4k120 DLSS Quality (no frame gen) and I think I'm going to mod DLSS into DLAA because I don't need to render this fancy PS4 port at 1440p lol.

Hell I can run topaz ai upscaling on CCD1 and the 4090 av1 encoders while also running this game on CCD0 and still max it out so it's at least a solid job by nixxes and definitely a better showing than Horizon Zero Dawn was for its first year. That game has tons of shader comp and traversal stutter amongst some other performance issues they eventually got a handle on but it still doesn't run as well a Forbidden West

For the micro stutter. Did you try forcing on vsync in Nvidia control panel for the game and making sure it's off in game? That is usually a quick fix. Using frame gen this is almost mandatory. Also try the different scaling options within your Nvidia control panel. Putting it on no scaling will sometimes help with odd aspect ratio issues. Hope this helps.

Absolutely this... It's a vital but too often forgotten part of VRR too. Forcing vsync on via the CP and off in game is priority 1.

Also make sure nVidia's CP latency setting is set to off then only enable it in supporter games via the game and always use on+boost. It will basically put the CPU in perfect sync to send new frame data to the render queue exactly when it's needed which not only lowers render latency but also just makes everything work more efficient and acts to cap your frame rate to your CP max refresh rate and an render queue with only 1 frame is a happy queue that is less likely to ever drop a frame or suffer unexpected spikes in frame time.

Last edited: