Hotmail Finally Dead, 300M+ Users Moved to Outlook.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
The new outlook is less bloat and a lot more responsive which means a lot when you work on computers that arent the fastest.

G

The switch from hotmail to outlook went great, and I actually prefer the layout of outlook. Nice job!

G

I like how they put Microsoft Office in the cloud. You don't need to pay like $300 or install anything to be able to use Powerpoint, Word & Excel. Just log into your Microsoft email account, click the "Skydrive" tab and then click the "Create" tab. From there you select one of the web apps. Most people only use Word and Powerpoint. If Publisher was added, there would be no reason to buy Office for anyone. I wonder how their shareholders feel about that.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's kind of sad, Hotmail has a long history. Use to be my main email address for years and still have my account from 96-97 somewhere around there when it first started.
I guess nothing lasts forever even online.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Now microsoft can use hotmail.com for that adults only website they were dreaming of...
As a side note, the clean format of outlook.com is the best webmaile experiance I have used, and puts gmail to shame. It's kind of comical how gmail strives to keep their search clean, but provides nearly non stop advertising spam in my gmail...

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I made the switch in February, must say it's much more responsive and less cluttered. Like the new look and feel of it. Loging in is also much faster, it was getting very slow to log into in the last few years even on fast machines with good connections to the net. It loads a few seconds faster than my gmail accts, however I still use a email client to get my mail.
drwho1 No there won't really be any change for you as far as your email address is concerned, it still works as it did before, I can still use my hotmail email addy and it's just fine. Everything will remain as it was they just changed the site. Here's a link that will answer your questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/auto-upgrade-outlook-faq

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I think that the new Outlook interface is rubbish, they obviously designed it to match Windows 8 the old Hotmail interface was much better although it was far from perfect. Everyone I know who uses it agrees with me, so it is not just me I am surprised that there are not more people criticizing it on this forum.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I like the new outlook mail it's pretty nice you can select an email for example and it will automaticly remove all those emails related to it without you going through it manually and doing it.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I stopped using my Hotmail account close to 2 years ago when I couldn't get it on my Froyo Android phone and it refused to play nice with any of the available browsers. Switched to Gmail, sent out a notification to all my own contacts and the transition went pretty smooth.
I know down the road there was actually a Hotmail app released, but by then I already made the move.
I hope for all the remaining Hotmail users their transition went smoothly and they didn't lose any contacts in the process. God knows it was a pain when I canceled my subscription to AOL when Time Warner started up high speed internet in the area and I wasn't going to keep paying $20 for an email address, which, eventually became free for all anyways.
Guess I've had crappy luck there.
It just makes me wonder, if I had went to a Windows phone over Android, would I have been able to just set up my Hotmail direct to a built in Outlook client or would I have been setting up a Gmail account anyways?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I signed up for an outlook.com email account when it debuted. I have to say that if I weren't so integrated with gmail/google already, I'd be using outlook.com. Nice interface, nice features.

Status
Not open for further replies.