How Apple OS X Mavericks Falls Short on Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeatrix184

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
This article, to me, seems like there is much ado about nothing. The title says OS X falls short but when I read the text it seems that it is just like any operating system and I wouldn't call that falling short, that's being on par. And the Kazpersky guy seems like he's just trying to sell his products to Mac users.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Apple all but abandons older versions of OS X after the newest release hits. If you're using a Mac you should just bite the bullet and upgrade. Or stop using a Mac.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

In terms of built in security, Mac has been and still is way behind Windows in terms of security.

Since Windows 95 Microsoft has had to deal with security issues. They have had years worth of malware and attacks on the system to make a OS that on release is pretty secure. Of course after a while it needs a AV but on release Windows in the first 6 months to a year pretty safe to use without a AV. 8/8.1 is even better since it includes Defender w/MSE built in.

And I am sure we will see more Mac AV ads soon since they are starting to get malware.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
"OS X is still vulnerable to malware," he said. "Maybe it's time to recognize [that] an anti-malware product is needed, especially one capable to detect exploits while browsing"

Yep, scathing. After the article about "is Win 8.1 worth the security upgrade" and all we get is moans about the interface and why don't they cascade all these improvements down to 7, XP, etc. It's interesting to note people don't moan about Apple not cascading security updates down to previous versions of OSX, what pathetic little security there is.

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
What I gather from this is, they are blaming Apple for people not being smart about security. Apple gives the end-user the choice to turn protection on or off, which is the way it should be. Not their fault if the end-user is an idiot.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
lol that startup screen reminds me of Vista. It should be no surprise that Apple has the worst security built into it and have the users who are least aware of security concerns. The bigger security measure Apple possesses is its lack of market share.

Status
Not open for further replies.