How are HP Pavillion Laptops nowadays? (Picking laptops)

Amenomori

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
Hi there, I haven't actually gotten around to buying a laptop yet (no money yet hahahaha) and I came across an HP Pavillion 15 with these specs:

• Display: 15.6" FHD
    Processor: i5-6300HQ
    RAM: 4GB DDR4
    Graphics: GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    HDD: 1TB
I've heard some bad things about them some time ago, and am wondering if it's worth getting (it seems to have a dual fan setup, which I think is nice) over the MSI GL62 6QD. For comparison purposes, here are the MSI's specifications (they are also within my price range):

• Display: 15.6" HD
    Processor: i5-6300HQ
    RAM: 4GB DDR4
    Graphics: GTX 950M 2GB DDR3
    HDD: 1TB
On paper, the HP laptop is a sure-win, sporting much better specifications. But I'm worried about cooling (due to the bad things I heard about them) and if the MSI laptop is still much more preferable despite the difference in specifications. If a cooling pad will help in either case, I can buy one.

Thanks!

G

I had a HP dv6-3065ea years ago - brilliant machine with an AMD Phenom II X3 processor, and it pretty much handled anything I threw at it. Lasted almost four years until I went back to a desktop - I sold the laptop to a friend who only made it last three weeks before he damaged it! My girlfriend has a gorgeous Lenovo which I think has the AMD A8 APU and that is a cracking machine too.

Never had an MSI laptop but I have heard they're rather good for gaming.