May 7, 2019
Considering a) my wife's 5s took an inadvertent bath, b) we're out of our current contracts, and c) Verizon is running a decent Mother's Day promo, I need advice for upgrading our old 16GB 5ses.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, so what's your take on the following options:

1) Take advantage of the BOGO on two XRs for $750 and get hooked by Verizon for another two years.

Pros:
  • New gen phone that shouldn't need upgrading for a while
  • 64 gigs of space
  • Good new camera
Cons:
  • $750
  • Stuck with Verizon for another two years
  • More than 64 gigs would be nice
2) Spend $400-$500 on two unlocked 6ses with 128 gigs

Pros:
  • Save some $$
  • No contract (so I can move to Spectrum mobile in one month when we get high speed internet - woot!)
Cons:
  • Still $400-$500
  • Only one gen better
  • Potential for shady online seller
Please help - I'd love to read other options or opinions. Note we're - what I think - fairly typical middle-aged smartphone users. Moderate internet, camera, and app usage. The wife Facebooks and I sink way too much time into Magic Duels and Skyforce when not listening to EDM on Pandora. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I'll get the XRs. I have a 7+ and I stopped upgrading to newer models because I thought those without touchID are crap. My sister got an XR recently, and guess what... I love it. You just need to adjust for a short while at first, but it's just like any other iPhone, easier to use with time. And I don't think being stuck with Verizon is that bad, compared to not being sure about your seller.

codyteddy

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
I'll get the XRs. I have a 7+ and I stopped upgrading to newer models because I thought those without touchID are crap. My sister got an XR recently, and guess what... I love it. You just need to adjust for a short while at first, but it's just like any other iPhone, easier to use with time. And I don't think being stuck with Verizon is that bad, compared to not being sure about your seller.

Reactions: emlit
Solution
May 7, 2019

Thank you for the feedback and advice; much appreciated.