How can I make and SD card the default storage and download location on Android Marshmallow (ver. 6.0.1)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgw

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
I have a Galaxy J6 with 16 GB of storage and a Samsung 128 GB SDXC card. How can I change the default storage and download location to the SD card?

In Marshmallow you can either use the SdCard as internal or Portable storage. You must set yours as Internal before you can install Apps on to it.

I doubt it can be the default download location and you ought to check that the Apps you want to use can be run from the card. Many insist they have to be run within the system.

mattgw

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

How do I set the sd card as internal storage? I've looked and I can't seem to find it.

Hannah6552

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

I reckon someone found a way round that by now don't you, gopher1369?

The biggest problem is that the SdCard may already have some crucial system data on it so if the card fails, as cheap ones do, the whole system or at least some Apps, could fail.

The best answer is not to buy Samsung or LG phones. That said, it is rumoured Samsung's own photo app saves the pictures to the card.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Oh absolutely, it's been possible for ages, it's easy* assuming you have a rooted phone and know Linux command line, here's a guide:
https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-adoptable-storage-for-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge/

And yes, absolutely, don't buy cheap SD cards, or SD cards off Ebay ever (because fakes).

*irony

Status
Not open for further replies.