how can i make my two tvs operate independently?

stigmatoxin

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014
before today, i had an hd-compatable flatscreen and an older tv, i mean 15+ year old Pansonic. we have one cable box at home and both of them could operate on their own, if i was on one channel on the flatscreen, the Pansonic could be on another.

today, i purchased another flatscreen, we hooked it up, but now, they display the exact same thing. its like they are both tied to the same signal or something. are there any settings that i had to have put in to make them independent again?

Solution
The most common scenario here is that previously, the wall outlet connected to a coaxial splitter. The first output of the splitter was connected to the set top box which output to your HDTV. The second output from the splitter was connected directly to the older TV. This allowed both TVs to tune different channels. Actually, the old TV can tune one channel and the set top box can tune one channel (<-- That part is important).

Now, with two HDTVs, if they're both connected to your set top box, which can only output one channel at a time, both HDTVs can only display the same channel.

-Wolf sends

stigmatoxin

Estimable
Nov 28, 2014

for the main TV, we are using an HDMI cable. for the other tv, i'm using a TRS 6LMG cable which connects to the cable box.

and another TRS that connects to a 1-in/3-out splitter which trails off to the network

The most common scenario here is that previously, the wall outlet connected to a coaxial splitter. The first output of the splitter was connected to the set top box which output to your HDTV. The second output from the splitter was connected directly to the older TV. This allowed both TVs to tune different channels. Actually, the old TV can tune one channel and the set top box can tune one channel (<-- That part is important).

Now, with two HDTVs, if they're both connected to your set top box, which can only output one channel at a time, both HDTVs can only display the same channel.

-Wolf sends

Solution