How can I make use of/connect Multi-Channel Surround Sound non HDMI Sony 5.1 AV Receiver to DirecTV HR-44, Vizio HDTV, & BluRa

MissC66

Estimable
Nov 20, 2015
We have a new DirecTV Receiver Model HR-44/500, an HDTV by Vizio w/3 HDMI, 1 HDMI(Arc), 1 Compon/Compos, 1 Dig Optical, 1 Dig Coax & lastly, a Sony BluRay Player.
Our Sony AV Receiver is STR-DE685. I need recommendations on best way to connect.

Solution
Hello,

You can do optical, but you won't get uncompressed 5.1 sound, meaning no Dolby True HD, and no DTS HD Master Audio. As for video... well, you won't do HD content justice. I recommend investing in a more up to date receiver. You could do HDMI to TV those that can, and optical to receiver to surround. Though Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital are night and day.

All the best!
Hello,

You can do optical, but you won't get uncompressed 5.1 sound, meaning no Dolby True HD, and no DTS HD Master Audio. As for video... well, you won't do HD content justice. I recommend investing in a more up to date receiver. You could do HDMI to TV those that can, and optical to receiver to surround. Though Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital are night and day.

All the best!

Solution