How can I set up a 3-monitor display with laptop?

Imma__

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
I'm current trying to set up another monitor on my Lenovo ideapad Z580. I've been using one with an HDMI cable with no issues and am now trying to set up a 2nd monitor with a VGA cable (because it's a little older and has no HDMI input), I keep getting an error message when I try to bring in the 3rd screen. It reads "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings". Currently using terrible windows 8.1 Please help, this is really obnoxious.

jaguarskx

Champion
Laptops are generally only capable of supporting one external monitor. While a laptop may have multiple video output ports like HDMI and VGA, the is more as a convenience than anything else. For example, many business laptops will have a HDMI port to connect to a modern monitor or projector, but many businesses still have projectors that will only accept VGA.

Most video chips (dedicated and integrate) can only send 2 video signals which is why you laptop will only send a video signal to one external monitor. The other video signa for the laptop's screen. Some high end gaming laptops can support 2 external monitors but the Lenovo is definitely not a high end gaming laptop.

You will need a USB video adapter like the one linked below to add another monitor to your laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-BVU195-Adapter-DisplayLink-Chipset/dp/B002GHBW4S

jaguarskx

Champion
Laptops are generally only capable of supporting one external monitor. While a laptop may have multiple video output ports like HDMI and VGA, the is more as a convenience than anything else. For example, many business laptops will have a HDMI port to connect to a modern monitor or projector, but many businesses still have projectors that will only accept VGA.

Most video chips (dedicated and integrate) can only send 2 video signals which is why you laptop will only send a video signal to one external monitor. The other video signa for the laptop's screen. Some high end gaming laptops can support 2 external monitors but the Lenovo is definitely not a high end gaming laptop.

You will need a USB video adapter like the one linked below to add another monitor to your laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-BVU195-Adapter-DisplayLink-Chipset/dp/B002GHBW4S

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LordElites Laptop General Discussion 2
U Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 4
V Laptop General Discussion 2
Z Laptop General Discussion 1
G Laptop General Discussion 4
M Laptop General Discussion 4
tworaccoons Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 9
A Laptop General Discussion 1