How can I use a car subwoofer in a computer speaker setup?

joshuco

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
Hi I have a JBL GT-Basspro 12 and was about to purchase a pair of monitors for my computer since my HK Soundsticks finally gave up after 10 years of use. I was thinking about getting a pair of M-Audio AV 30s or 40s and was wondering if there would be a way to use this sub with them. I was also wondering how I would get power to the sub since theres no AC plug. The sub does have a line in so I should be able to get the sound from the speakers, but the power is the real question i'd have. Thanks in advance!
gt_basspro12_2.jpg

Solution
Car audio subwoofer is gonna sound like crap for home audio.
If you are so bent upon using that for home audio, then u will need to remove the driver and design a new box for it...which i'm sure is a whole new world for you. ;). Even after which I would be highly skeptical that it would turn out to be good.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Car audio subwoofer is gonna sound like crap for home audio.
If you are so bent upon using that for home audio, then u will need to remove the driver and design a new box for it...which i'm sure is a whole new world for you. ;). Even after which I would be highly skeptical that it would turn out to be good.

Solution

joshuco

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
Yea I was just looking more into it. I would try using a computer PSU and that would cost about $35 and with that plus the AVs, it'd cost me more then just getting something like a Logitech Z623. Thanks for the help though.