How could I gut a high performance laptop and replace with cheaper parts?

YehzroSnoux

Estimable
Dec 13, 2015
I have a Lenovo Ideapad y50-70 touch, which runs phenomenally and I am hating the idea of parting with it. I purchased this laptop for a low price of $900.00 USD brand new from a retailer, and have no intention of being able to resell it for as much due to a SMALL (One inch) crack in the screen. (It is not even noticeable, except to me who notices it every second I look at it.)

I would rather take the performance parts, if not all parts, out of the laptop and put them into a shell of a laptop that I would either build or buy. Is this possible, and is it possible to then reinstall a cheap motherboard, gpu, hdd and memory ram to replace the laptop?

I ask this because I am wishing to sell this laptop to my brother, who would use only for facebook and menial tasks that wouldn't require the mid-range performance parts this laptop contains, and is buying merely for the brand name (exterior not internals), touch screen, and he will be getting it at a discount price.

If this is possible, would someone please contact me via my account here on Tomshardware.com and we can have a more in-depth conversation? I realize some of you may say this is not right, but he will be informed of the swap before purchasing.

I would appreciate any comments left on this thread as well as direct messages regarding the previously stated ideas.

Thanks -Yehzro

Here is a link to a very similar model = http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y50-70-59442843.142226.0.html

The model number is a Lenovo Ideapad Y50-70 Touch 20349.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU : i7-4720HQ
GPU : Integrated Intel 4600
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m 2gb (although not 100% sure of the Vram)
Screen : 15.6 inch, 16:9, 1920x1080 pixels, glossy: no
HDD : 1 TB, 8gb SSD Hybrid

(I'm not very familiar with doing any software or hardware "swaps", or technical work in general, but I am very good with my hands and have confidence and resources to get this done with a little knowledge (granted only if it's possible [without destroying the original hardware] and cost is efficient)

Solution
Yeah, the motherboard that is in the Y50-70 laptop will only fit inside another Y50-70 laptop. Laptops do not have standard format motherboards like desktop PCs do. The laptop motherboards are designed to fit in a specific laptop chassis. There are no industry standard laptop chassis either.

The vast majority of laptops that have dedicate GPUs will not allow you to remove the GPU chip because it is soldered into the motherboard. If the crack annoys you then your best bet is to replace the screen. You would need to search for a replacement laptop screen that is compatible with the Y50-70 and replace it yourself. Or bring it to a repair shop and have them do it for you. Naturally, it will cost more to have it repaired because you will...
Forget what you are trying to do for laptops, they are designed for specific use by vendors with different size and shaped connectors and port sizes and locations. If you find the exact same model laptop with lower end parts, you can buy those parts and who the swap, probably.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I would rather take the performance parts, if not all parts, out of the laptop and put them into a shell of a laptop that I would either build or buy. Is this possible, and is it possible to then reinstall a cheap motherboard, gpu, hdd and memory ram to replace the laptop?

This will not work. Not even a little bit.

Yeah, the motherboard that is in the Y50-70 laptop will only fit inside another Y50-70 laptop. Laptops do not have standard format motherboards like desktop PCs do. The laptop motherboards are designed to fit in a specific laptop chassis. There are no industry standard laptop chassis either.

The vast majority of laptops that have dedicate GPUs will not allow you to remove the GPU chip because it is soldered into the motherboard. If the crack annoys you then your best bet is to replace the screen. You would need to search for a replacement laptop screen that is compatible with the Y50-70 and replace it yourself. Or bring it to a repair shop and have them do it for you. Naturally, it will cost more to have it repaired because you will have to pay for parts and labor.

Solution