How do completely backup a Galaxy S4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I want to get a Samsung Galaxy S4 so bad (hate iPhone's now), but i never really knew how to backup an Android device. I know a lot about Apple devices like iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iPod, etc and i know how to fully backup their data and apps with iTunes. Since ive never used an Android, i naturally dont know how to back them up and back up their apps like you would easily do with iTunes. Ive done some research and it seems that backing up GS4's data and apps is quite different. I want to get some straight answers here and just find out how to fully backup a GS4's contacts, songs, pictures, videos, text messages, apps, and every bit of the data on the phone to a pc. With iTunes you can backup literally an entire iPhone, so how do you do the same with a GS4? Any help and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

U can fully backup ur data to google server.if u want to save ur picture video music locally,u can plug it to ur pc as mass storage.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Where do i back up the apps?

I have found two solutions. The first is to backup my apps and the data separately. I stuck a MicroSD card in the slot, copied as much of the file tree as I had access to (some is protected), then used the built-in backup tool to make backups of each app. They come out as file type .something (I forgot!), and can be re-installed.

Edit: Using the built-in backup tool is explained here - http://www.howtogeek.com/125375/how-to-create-a-full-android-phone-or-tablet-backup-without-rooting-or-unlocking-your-device/ .

I deliberately did a factory reset and tested the recovery procedure. Clunky, but it worked. Since then I bought a copy of App Backup Reinstall ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.nicky.AppBackupReinstall&hl=en ); I like the backups better.

EDIT: WARNING: Text messages do not survive this process.

The second solution involves rooting your phone. After that, you have several options to make complete backups of the phone that can be recovered in a single step. I have rooted and installed SafeStrap, then Titanium Backup Pro (also paid). If you are willing to take the risk of rooting, this is a stronger solution.

Always copy backups to a microSD card. Then you can, with much labor, recover from most cases of boot loops or what seems to be bricking. Again, rooting is a risk. xda-developers.com is the site to read for rooting, but they are a developer's forum (duh) and are sometimes unpleasant in response to noob questions. Be aware that the procedures are very sensitive to the versions installed on your phone; it took me many tries to find exactly the right version of the root.

WARNING: I have not tested if text messages survive this process. I've never cared much about old text messages.

RaizTatu

Hello, and welcome to Tom's. Please open a new thread for your question; we discourage adding new questions or "me too" to existing threads and "hijacking" the thread.

A Titanium backup and restore will save and restore settings; I think it will even restore your account settings but I'm not sure. Anything that can do a backup can do it to a microSD card. At worst, just copy the backup off internal memory to the microSD card.

Please don't answer me here, but open your own thread. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.