How do I block TV weather ticker

somewherenc

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
I only receive over-the-air digital transmissions. I currently have a Toshiba 40E22OU HD-LCD TV.
Every time there is a major weather event my local stations will broadcast warnings that take up the
bottom 1/8 of the screen. It bugs the ever loving p**s out of me. I paid for High Definition full screen showings.

Is there a programming feature where I can block this nuisance? Is there a TV Brand that would allow me to program this out?

I also have deafness in my left ear. Sometimes I turn on the SAP feature. It is a big help with some UK programs or sometimes certain actors are hard to understand. But when that weather ticker shows up if I turn on the SAP feature it blocks too much of the TV program.

TIA

Solution
The weather warnings are in the video, they can not be blocked without zooming the image, this loosing the top and sides.

For the sound, I recommend you check your TV settings for something like auto volume or another volume leveling feature. It will try to keep all sounds and channels at a closer volume. This can help the end user hear things better without getting blasted by the loud parts of the program.

nukemaster

Distinguished
The weather warnings are in the video, they can not be blocked without zooming the image, this loosing the top and sides.

For the sound, I recommend you check your TV settings for something like auto volume or another volume leveling feature. It will try to keep all sounds and channels at a closer volume. This can help the end user hear things better without getting blasted by the loud parts of the program.

Solution

somewherenc

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

The sound comment was in relationship to close captioning. As long as I use closed captioning sound is not a problem. But when these stupid weather announcements hog the screen it makes it difficult to use closed captioning. If I use it then I have nothing left to watch on the screen. I wish I could sue either the local station or the tv manufacters. I must not be the only one who hates this c**p.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Advertisements do the same thing. quite a pain, but I guess with the PVR's many users now have, they figure they may as well force ads on you somehow.

Some TV's may allow you to move the closed captioning to the top of the screen.

niumanerq

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
Some TV's may allow you to move the closed captioning to the top of the screen.
oBN26l

somewherenc

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014

Well I thought this was finished I have found the answer and it served me well this weekend during the US Open championship, I just go to picture screen mode choose HT 2 and I never see those dastardly weather things.