How do I connect my bluetooth enabled Sony XBR TV to my bluetooth enabled Pioneer VSX receiver?

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
This is a question about how to get my new bluetooth TV's sound to my bluetooth enabled Pioneer receiver. Pretty simple stuff.

Generally speaking:
- turn your receiver into Bluetooth, set it in Pairing mode. Confirm with your phone you can pair with it (but don't do it). Check Pioneer' manual for details.
- Set your TV to search for Bluetooth headphones / speakers. CHeck the manual how to do it.

There are dozens of VSX receivers, and another dozen of Sony TVs. Exact procedure will vary between models.

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I've done all that, the TV just spins, "Searching for accessories..." on my TV. The receiver connects to other Bluetooth devices like my phone, fine.

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

I've done all that, the TV just spins, "Searching for accessories..." on my TV. The receiver connects to other Bluetooth devices like my phone, fine.

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

actually although it's listed as "paired devices" I can't get any sound from my phone (which it says is paired) to the TV either. looks like the Bluetooth is busted?

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I went one step further and physically connected an AV cord out from the TV in to the receiver and still - no sound from the TV. Why is the world would the TV have audio out that doesn't work? I even bought TWO Bluetooth audio transmitters - ran them using AV and an optical cable and still, NO SOUND OUT FROM THE TV. The only sound I can get from the TV (Netflix, Google, etc.) is through the TV. This is driving me insane.

Both the TV and receiver seem to have BT receivers not transmitters.
You may have to turn the audio output on, the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV menu to get it working, The receiver connection you used for the TV to has to be assigned to an input (such as CD or aux). If you get the TV audio output turned on then you can use a BT transmitter but you don't need two. Just one on the TV paired to the receiver. You will only get a stereo input from the TV that way so no digital surround sound. Use an optical cable if you can.

JoMamas

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks - this has all been done, I even went so far as to buy an audio transmitter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NADRX9L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and had it plugged into the optical OUT on the TV and while the receiver reads and connects to the transmitter fine (says "connected"), I still get no sound. What gives? A DIRECT AV connection from the TV out to the receiver IN also didn't work!