How do I delete words from the personal dictionary on my Galaxy S8 android phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomom17

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I have the issue of having auto correct fixing my words with things that make no sense whatsoever (like it replaces my word with something that sounds madeup) - How do I delete words that I know I never use, so it stops grabbing those to autocorrect me?

Solution
I know of no way to remove words that are already in the dictionary. Only words you may have added yourself. You can, however, turn off predictive text, which then will give you no words and you must type everything out yourself.

How to turn on/off Predictive Text/Text Suggestions.

Depending on your device, and android version, there are a few different ways to turn this option on/off.

Option 1.

1. Go to "Settings" and then tap "Language & Input".
2. Next tap "Default" (keyboard) and then tap your default keyboard.
3. Now tap "Configure Input Methods" and then tap "Settings" next to the keyboard you are wanting to alter.
4. Here tap "Text Input Settings", then tap "Word Suggestions".
5. On this next screen tap the option you wish...
I know of no way to remove words that are already in the dictionary. Only words you may have added yourself. You can, however, turn off predictive text, which then will give you no words and you must type everything out yourself.

How to turn on/off Predictive Text/Text Suggestions.

Depending on your device, and android version, there are a few different ways to turn this option on/off.

Option 1.

2. Next tap "Default" (keyboard) and then tap your default keyboard.
3. Now tap "Configure Input Methods" and then tap "Settings" next to the keyboard you are wanting to alter.
4. Here tap "Text Input Settings", then tap "Word Suggestions".
5. On this next screen tap the option you wish to have used.

You should now have/not have the suggestions bar, depending on which you chose to change to.

Option 2.

1. Go to "Settings" and then tap "Language & Input" (it could also say "Language & Keyboard").
2. Next tap "Android keyboard settings" and check/uncheck "Show Suggestions".

Option 3.

2. Next tap "Google Keyboard" and then tap "Text correction".
3. Slide the "Show correction suggestions" and move the switch to the right/left to turn this on/off.

Option 4.

2. Next tap "Keyboard & Input Methods" and then tap your default keyboard.
3. Now tap "Text Correction" and then locate "Next Word Suggestion" and move the switch next to it to the right/left to turn this on/off.

Solution

zoomom17

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Thank you for your help. I really was hoping I could access the dictionary and remove "words " that are not words that it seems to like to auto correct with, but, i guess I'll just have to be more diligent in rereading what I've typed (I use Swype) before sending.

Aug 19, 2018
I know long pressing the word in the predictive text can some times give the option to remove from learned words but it doesn't do that with all words like my issue with yp U instead of you

Status
Not open for further replies.