How do I install Windows on a Laptop that wont let me change the boot priority.

kasol kay

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Hello, hope you have been having a nice day! I recently acquired this laptop, it's a Lenovo T420S, It came with a defective hard drive so I bought a 128GB Samsung SSD. Although the problem lies when trying to install Windows. Without the drive it boots straight into the Windows installation located on a USB drive, but with the SSD inside it tries to boot into the SSD (with no OS on it). Later instead of going further down the list and eventually booting of the USB drive it just shows me a spec list. I've even tried using an external drive but the Windows installation claims it has to install on a drive connected to a SATA port. Worst of all the Bios wont let me change the boot priority, and the quick boot is bust. So, is there any way around this? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Solved, just used a Windows CD and booted from that. this solution should work if you have a similar issue. And the password was the Lenovo propriety button (Something Vantage) or sometimes 0000, hope this helps someone else!

das_stig

Distinguished
Enter the BIOS on your Lenovo by pressing the F1 or F2 key repeatedly when the Lenovo or ThinkPad logo screen appears after rebooting the computer. These two keys are used to enter BIOS for most older ThinkPads as well as most of the newer Lenovo or ThinkPad computer models. YOu only have a small amount of time to do this.

If password protected, don't bother asking, we won't help you bypass.

kasol kay

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Solved, just used a Windows CD and booted from that. this solution should work if you have a similar issue. And the password was the Lenovo propriety button (Something Vantage) or sometimes 0000, hope this helps someone else!

Solution