Solved! How do I install wireless speakers on an old JVC rack system that uses speaker wires?

jjjamonit

Commendable
Oct 7, 2019
Help! I have an old JVC rack system circa 1990 and the wired speakers are GIANT and don’t fit in my new space. I’d like to get some wireless speakers (but would settle for slim wired speakers if need be). The problem is that the old speakers connect via speaker wires with exposed wires at either end that “snap” into these ports in the back. There are no “available” RCA ports on the receiver because they are being used by the other components. And the headphone port in the front is waaaay bigger than the external speaker jack for the speakers that I plug into my laptop. Plus, if I plugged something into the front of the receiver the glass door of the rack system wouldn’t close. So I need help at like a kindergarten level on whether there is a way of using those old speaker wire ports in the back to connect to new speakers or a Bluetooth receiver for wireless speakers. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!!!

Solution
If you still record cassettes often then split the record outputs so you can connect both the cassette deck and transmitter. You will need a pair of single male RCA to two female RCA splitters.
If you don't record often then you can connect the record outs to the cassette when you need to do that.
If you only playback cassette tapes you don't need the record output for that at all.
You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the speaker outputs. The unused B speaker terminals would be better than the ones you use since you would not be able to use the remote speakers without the local ones playing. Also the volume you play those speakers will affect the input to the transmitter. Might cause distortion on the BT speakers.
New speakers, you can easily find some for the same wires you are using now that are smaller. Say these $100 Polks https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T...3V78BWE12NH&psc=1&refRID=F3Q8TN0393V78BWE12NH

If you want to use a bluetooth adapter, the headphone jack is a 1/4" one it sounds like, you can easily find adapters for 3.5 mm to 1/4" and then get a bluetooth receiver to hook on that if you want to use bluetooth speakers. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Dual-Link/dp/B07KTQVRS4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=27AUMUB7BUO44&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1570480600&sprefix=mpow+bluetooth+trans,aps,185&sr=8-7

You can get a right-angle 3.5mm cable so it does not stick out much so the rack will close. Or slide the receiver a bit back

jjjamonit

Commendable
Oct 7, 2019
New speakers, you can easily find some for the same wires you are using now that are smaller. Say these $100 Polks https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T...3V78BWE12NH&psc=1&refRID=F3Q8TN0393V78BWE12NH

If you want to use a bluetooth adapter, the headphone jack is a 1/4" one it sounds like, you can easily find adapters for 3.5 mm to 1/4" and then get a bluetooth receiver to hook on that if you want to use bluetooth speakers. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Dual-Link/dp/B07KTQVRS4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=27AUMUB7BUO44&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1570480600&sprefix=mpow+bluetooth+trans,aps,185&sr=8-7

You can get a right-angle 3.5mm cable so it does not stick out much so the rack will close. Or slide the receiver a bit back

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

The best place to connect a BT transmitter would be to the tape record/input RCA jacks if the receiver/amplifier part of the rack has them. These outputs are unaffected by the volume control so you can't overload the transmitter causing distortion. Volume would be controlled at the BT speakers.
You will likely get better sound replacing the JVC speakers than using wireless speakers. You could do both if you wanted sound in more than one room.

jjjamonit

Commendable
Oct 7, 2019
The best place to connect a BT transmitter would be to the tape record/input RCA jacks if the receiver/amplifier part of the rack has them. These outputs are unaffected by the volume control so you can't overload the transmitter causing distortion. Volume would be controlled at the BT speakers.
You will likely get better sound replacing the JVC speakers than using wireless speakers. You could do both if you wanted sound in more than one room.

Thanks so much for responding! The cassette player RCAs are being used by the cassette player (did I mention this thing is OLD)? So I’m trying to find other speaker options that will work with those old speaker wires, in addition to the Bluetooth option described by the other person above. The speaker ports on my system are black and red with a tiny hole for the wire and a little flat piece that snaps down to hold it in place.

If you still record cassettes often then split the record outputs so you can connect both the cassette deck and transmitter. You will need a pair of single male RCA to two female RCA splitters.
If you don't record often then you can connect the record outs to the cassette when you need to do that.
If you only playback cassette tapes you don't need the record output for that at all.
You can connect a speaker to line level converter to the speaker outputs. The unused B speaker terminals would be better than the ones you use since you would not be able to use the remote speakers without the local ones playing. Also the volume you play those speakers will affect the input to the transmitter. Might cause distortion on the BT speakers.

Solution