Solved! How do I know if my power button is broken or it's something else?

Jul 19, 2020
My laptop is an HP Pavilion 17 Notebook

When I have the power adapter plugged in the little white light is on but as soon as I press the power button the light goes out & will not come back on for some times 24 hours. I tried replacing the power adapter but the new cord does same thing & laptop doesn't come on.

I am wondering if I just need to replace the power button or if it could be something else.

I had taken it to a PC guy & he said it was the hard drive but I don't believe that.

Also is there any way I can turn it on without the power button?

Solution
System not turning on i snot a drive issue, what did this tech person test to say it's the drive? It's probably not the power button but your motherboard failed. If you remove the power button and short the contacts (connect them together with a small screwdriver for example) it should turn on if the issue is the power button, but does not seem it is.
System not turning on i snot a drive issue, what did this tech person test to say it's the drive? It's probably not the power button but your motherboard failed. If you remove the power button and short the contacts (connect them together with a small screwdriver for example) it should turn on if the issue is the power button, but does not seem it is.

Solution
I agree with hang9. I don't see how a HD could cause this operation. I had the power button fail on my HP laptop about a year ago. I wanted to try to short around it but it was impossibly buried (given the laptop was still under warranty, I didn't want to go too far).

If you mean the little lite associated with the PC charging or not, it sound will a HW problem. If you mean the lite that goes on when you turn it on then maybe the switch is bad.

What you can do if you can get it to turn on once, is to configure your machine to go to sleep mode rather than powering down and to come back on when the cover is raised. You'll need to poke around in the advanced power settings and set it to Sleep when the cover is closed (it will come back on automatically when the cover is opened). Make sure you don't allow hibernation, if that is enabled, and keep it plugged in when not in use. Sleeping will drain the battery otherwise to the point where it will shut down. I almost never shut my laptop down. I like the quick recovery from sleep. About once a week I shut down for a fresh reboot.