how do I know what lens I need

Acw102080

Estimable
Apr 21, 2015
I want to buy my first DSLR camera for a trip out west to the National Parks. I have it narrowed down the the Nikon D3300 (first choice) or the Canon Rebel T5. I don't know what type of lens I need to get for the pictures I want. For the money, j can get more accessories with the Canon bit I think the Nikon with fewer things is a better choice. I know nothing about cameras so I don't know what the numbers with the lenses mean. Please help.

kanewolf

Judicious
Both of those camera bodies are APC sized sensors. That means that they have a magnification factor when compared to full frame (35mm SLR sized) sensors. Both of those cameras are available with a wide to short-telephoto base lens. Typically something like 20mm to 70mm focal length. The f-stop (maximum opening) of the lens doesn't really play into the discussion.

Outdoor photography lens selection is difficult. Sometimes you want a wide angle to capture a panoramic sunset. But other times you want a long telephoto to get that hawk in a tree. Two lenses: base lens (20-70mm) and tele-zoom (70 - 200mm). Make sure you also include $$$ for a monopod or a tripod.

kanewolf

Judicious

Adding a vertical grip can also be beneficial. If you have large hands it will give you more to hold. It adds battery capacity (and maybe AA disposable support) and if you take a lot of portrait oriented pictures gives a second set of controls. Downsides are that it adds weight and can make a camera too large for smaller hands.

skylanepilot

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
What's your budget? I wouldn't buy either of those bodies, because the lens is far more important. Those bodies and a kit lens would take lower quality photos than a 10yr old dslr and a great lens.

zedshead

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
i thinks you see your budget and your need lens for what..
o.png