Solved! How do I protect myself?

Dec 25, 2020
Hi,
My neighbor is not only stealing my wifi, but has wirelessly blocked my access to my own router.

This fight for control of my own equipment has been going on for over a year. I have tried everything I know and have learned online, but the fight continues. I've called different techs for help, but have only been given the average way of resetting the system, changing the password, and blocking all devices out which aren't mine. This of course only works for the moment, until they get back in again. I also had a tech come to my house and I asked what methods of protection I'd need for my particular setup and he was not very forthcoming at all -- he barely wanted to explained what he doing -- what little I learned from him, I had to pry out of him.

Extremely frustrated paying for service that I am not able to use, I just disconnected everything, until I can get this problem resolved. I refused to be blocked out of my router, while neighbors use it.

I am reading online and learning hard and fast, which is good info, though most tell you the what, but don't explain the step by step how to do it. I now know that I need to be hardwired by ethernet for everything. But at this point...all I have is an Android Galaxy S7, a smart TV, and a NightHawk router.

Can someone please tell me what else (hardware, Apps, configuration, etc.) is necessary to block hackers out of my phone, tv, and router???

Do I have to have a PC?

What is least "hackable" most durable, (with removable battery) military grade phone to buy in 2021

How can I make myself invisible to hackers?

I know this is long, thanks if you've gotten this far.

PLEASE HELP

Ms. L7L

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Securing your network and devices from neighbors is certainly achievable with your home router, if you take the time to setup properly.

Have you tried any of the recommendations in the previously suggested guide? Particularly this section of the guide:

Routers/Firewalls:

The Moat and Walls to the Castle: You must use a router. Connecting a device directly to the Internet (via your cable modem for example) is just looking for trouble. A router will allow multiple devices to access your home network, establish a wireless internal network, and protect your internal devices from external threats. But you must ensure your moat and walls are secure
- Update your router: Routers can receive updates to the code that...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Check out this guide for some pointers:

Lets start there.

If resetting the router and securing it doesn't keep your neighbor out of your network, you may have another issue allowing him to access your devices. You'll need to scan each of them for malware.

By the way, many routers (by default) don't allow wireless devices to administer the router. You must use a wired connection.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020
Thank you COLGeek.
Honestly... I've tried several Antivirus like Avast, AVG, SuperSecurity, and different VPN'S too, but this hacker still gets in, and turns everything off. Then he does malicious stuff like turns off email and text messaging notifications, moves things around, dismantles my apps so they don't work, resets my passwords, etc. -- like with my CBS All Access App, he changed the Country Code from US to GB.
So...I uninstalled the app, did a system reset, ran my antivirus, rebooted my phone, and reinstalled the CBS App, which worked the first time he did it, but not this time because the Country Code is still GB. He is literally controlling my phone, tv, and router.

I have been looking online for the best most protective options to upgrade to, but it is so confusing. I desperately need some good trustworthy guidance.
Thanks Again,
L7L

Dec 25, 2020
I agree More_o, and this individual has done much more - which is why I am trying so hard to learn how to configure an all hardwired system with the best protection I can find.

Look...I know hackers are always going to try to hack, but the companies that provide our equipment protect themselves from hackers, so why don't they provide easily accessible true WhiteHat hackers along with their products and services, who are willing to guide their customers to the best protective options for their needs.

Any time I've gotten company provided tech help, all they offer is just the bare minimum cleanup and reset, no true protection at all.

Why are real methods of protection seemingly kept top secret? Especially since we consumers pay so much for their products???

Personally...I love the convenience that high tech offers, though frankly, I wouldn't mind going back to hard-wired rotary phones and analogue cable TV for peace of mind. Thanks for responding.

More_O

Great
Jan 25, 2021
I'd recommend you to combine both hardware and software firewall as many companies do. The hardware will protect your whole network, and it's more difficult for a hacker to attack your devices. As you don't have a lot of devices to connect to your firewall it won't cost too much

Reactions: Ms L7L

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Securing your network and devices from neighbors is certainly achievable with your home router, if you take the time to setup properly.

Have you tried any of the recommendations in the previously suggested guide? Particularly this section of the guide:

Routers/Firewalls:

The Moat and Walls to the Castle: You must use a router. Connecting a device directly to the Internet (via your cable modem for example) is just looking for trouble. A router will allow multiple devices to access your home network, establish a wireless internal network, and protect your internal devices from external threats. But you must ensure your moat and walls are secure
- Update your router: Routers can receive updates to the code that the devices use to manage and secure your network. Keep your firmware up to date, even if you choose to use a 3rd party firmware
- Disable external access: It is very rare that you’ll ever need to access your router from outside of your internal network. To prevent outsiders from accessing your router, simply disable this function
- Always change your admin password and default network name: This can’t be stressed enough, always, ALWAYS, and let me say again always, change your admin password to something only you know (and don’t give this info to anyone not trusted, especially the kids if you have them). Changing your default wireless network name is a good idea as well. If you leave as “linksys”, for example, and you haven’t changed the admin credentials, it is easy for an intruder to determine the default information for a Linksys device.
- Use the strongest possible encryption supported by your devices: There are multiple encryption methods available to most devices. Use the strongest possible type. WPA2 is preferred, when available. Also, make sure you use a complex password (Uppercase, lowercase, numbers, special characters) to secure your wireless password and change this password often (every 30 days for example). Do not share this password with others outside of your family members and make sure they don’t share as well.
- Security over convenience: Don't be fooled by the convenience of "push button" ease of use or short numerical passwords via WPS. It sounds good, but it is too easy to bypass and makes your network and devices vulnerable.Just say "NO" to WPS.
- Give Guests their own network: If you have visitors and your router supports it, set up a guest network. Use the same rules as above to secure it. Only enable this network when needed, disable otherwise. This will protect your home systems from the foreign systems connecting to your network.
- Disable SSID broadcast: You can tell your router not to broadcast your wireless network name. While this won’t deter an advanced intrusion attempt, it will help to keep an “honest person, honest” and make it more difficult for the occasional intruder to detect your network.
- White/Black Lists: You can enable (white list) users/devices or disable (black list) the same as desired. You can also limit the time certain devices can access the Internet with these controls, to include enabling Parental Controls when appropriate with many routers.

Also, have you scanned your devices for malware?

Even if you buy new tech, if you don't secure properly it will just be a waste of money.

Reactions: Deciplox
Solution
Dec 25, 2020
I'd recommend you to combine both hardware and software firewall as many companies do. The hardware will protect your whole network, and it's more difficult for a hacker to attack your devices. As you don't have a lot of devices to connect to your firewall it won't cost too much

Thanks More_O

Deciplox

Great
Dec 8, 2020
im going to answer part of your question.

If you want to reduce the virus risk.. linux.
you want to also gain more control.. linux.

linux is not for the everyday user, but there are many manuals on how to operate efficiently.

i recommend linux