How do I recover data from a phone that can't turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone!

So here's my issue.

I own a Motorola Droid 4 and several months ago I dropped it and suddenly the sleep button doesn't work. This means that I lost the function to turn it off and on. For months, I've been keeping it on and waking it up by sliding the keyboard out.

It was a temporary solution however and now the phone has crashed. Holding down the sleep button and the volume down button worked once a long time ago, but now the phone will not turn on.

So I backed up everything off my SD card, however, there's more important stuff saved within the phones internal memory. Trouble is, I don't know how to access that in it's current state.

I made the decision that it's best to get a Like-New Replacement from Verizon but once I get my new one tomorrow, I have 15 days to return this one. This gives me 15 days to figure out how to not only extract my data from the device, but also to delete it before sending it in.

I tried plugging it into my computer just to see what would happen and the green LED lit up on the front and has stayed solid for the past 4 hours. Still can't turn on the phone, still can't access anything.

Any ideas of what to do? Any help is appreciated. Just remember, the sleep button + volume down button for 10 seconds solution has already been attempted with no success.

Thanks in advance.

Retrowire

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Ahh, if only I could close a thread.

I answered my own question.

The green LED was solid, but as soon as I plugged it back into a wall outlet, the green LED went out, the phone displayed the Motorola logo, then showed a 100% battery charge, then went black.

I unplugged it from the wall, did the volume down and sleep button trick and voila. It just took switching it from computer port to a wall charger to shake it out of it's coma.

Now I can back everything up! Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.