How do I reset my MSI laptop to factory settings?

Solution

If it is Windows 8 and mean resetting the operating system you can use the built in refresh feature of Windows 8. Go to control panel > open Recovery. At the bottom there is a link which reads 'If you are experiencing problems with your PC, you can refresh it in PC settings'. Click on it to open PC Settings recovery options. You can use the topmost option 'Refresh your PC without affecting your files' to keep folders like My Documents intact. Or 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows', this will delete everything and do a full reinstall. It should use the recovery drive available on your laptop to restore to factory defaults.

Y0GI

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
A laptop, ehh?

The easiest thing to try is to boot into the BIOS and select "Optimized Defaults". Save and exit (Prolly F10). See if that does what you need.

The next and much more difficult option is to remove as much of the case as is needed to access the CMOS battery. Remove the battery, wait about 5 min, and reinstall. Put the case back together. Boot into BIOS and again, Load Optimized Defaults. Save and exit. Boot into the OS and see if your problem has been solved.

Yogi

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006

If it is Windows 8 and mean resetting the operating system you can use the built in refresh feature of Windows 8. Go to control panel > open Recovery. At the bottom there is a link which reads 'If you are experiencing problems with your PC, you can refresh it in PC settings'. Click on it to open PC Settings recovery options. You can use the topmost option 'Refresh your PC without affecting your files' to keep folders like My Documents intact. Or 'Remove everything and reinstall Windows', this will delete everything and do a full reinstall. It should use the recovery drive available on your laptop to restore to factory defaults.

Solution

MSI user

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015

If i restart my pc back to factory settings will i lose programs that were preinstalled like MSI Dragon gaming center?

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006

It should restore it to as it was when you first started it up.

nerdygadgetdude

Estimable
Jun 10, 2015
If you're on Windows 8, press the windows key on your keyboard, type out "advanced startup" and you'll see advanced start up options show up, select that, then "troubleshoot" on the next screen then you'll have 2 options, 1 to "refresh" your machine or another to wipe and restore. I always wipe and restore.

You may also press f3 upon bootup, I have an MSI GP60 2PE LEOPARD and that works for me, but the above uption is how to do it on any computer any maker on windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.

Ryguy2k16

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016

A late response, but it's sort of a question only other MSI laptop users can answer.

The recovery function can be enacted by restarting your computer on an MSI laptop, and holding the F3 key which will bring up the recovery menu to restore your system to how you got it from day one.