How do i separate laptop sounds from tv sounds

carolali

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
IS there a way to separate laptop sounds from tv sounds when Netfix is connected but I want to use laptop in a different window?

carolali

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
As above...
How do I separate the sound from the laptop from the sound coming through the tv (I want to watch tv, ie Netflix, but ALSO use my laptop but don't want the sounds of my laptop coming through the tv whilst I'm trying to watch a film via streaming of Netflix.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
He wants to send the audio from the browser window to the TV (I assume via HDMI out?) speakers and send all other system audio to the laptops speakers/line out.

In theory you would set the default Windows to system out. And then send the Netflix browser session to HDMI. I am not sure this is possible. Targeted audio is controlled within the application and I do not think IE provides this.

A Windows article for reference:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/w7itprogeneral/thread/b1d1acac-1f21-4d23-8d68-98964d67c2c7

nukemaster

Distinguished
If HDMI sound is a different card(like in my case i have ATI HDMI and Creative Xfi) then YES you can assign on to just a different program as long as the software supports it.

This issue comes that a program has to be able to choose what sound card it wants to use.

In this setup, i have SPDIF(digital, just like HDMI, in fact part of the HDMI standard) playing all computer sounds, but Winamp playing over analog speakers.
multistream.png

As said, your software or at least some of it has to be able to direct sound to what output it wants to use.

So lets say you are using netflix(uses default audio device), and can not change that, do your other programs have the ability to remap(many games support this, but i am not sure if a web browser does.)?

carolali

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I just want to be able to watch a film streamed from Netfix to my tv WITHOUT any sounds from the laptop running over the film via the tv

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Correct, +1. Silverlight, Flash, Internet browsers. None that I know of leverage audio APIs (stream routing) to allow for sending audio to a specific device. I believe this will be made easier to implement in Windows 8, though. So we might see more of it in the future.

nukemaster

Distinguished

Ohh how I hope so.

Vista made a huge jump in sound abilities with each program having its own volume. and maybe(win8) will not have ALC(Auto level control) even with it off

This is only a problem with 2 or more sounds playing at once. Sounds will drop the volume on others so games(some games, SC2 seems to do it allot) + music = music fading in and out when loud game sounds play(with an Open AL plugin for my music player to bypass windows and let my sound card play the audio, this does not happen).

carolali

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Help needed again :-/ Having messed around with different sound options last night, I am not confused as to why the netflix sound is coming through the laptop speakers instead of the tv. I'm sure it's a simple thing to fix but as I'm not great at these things, your help would be appreciated again! Thanks folks.