how do i seperate my hdmi sound and my main screen and speakers sound so i can game while gf watches netflix

Tyson Wilde

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015
I have an alienware x51 and im trying to let her watch her netflix (friends series:) with her sound coming from my lower hdmi connection and game on my onw screen with headphones or speakers from the tower... is there anyway to do this?

Solution
Two requirements.
1) The HDMI audio output must be a different hardware device than the other audio output.
2) At least one of the applications must have Audio settings that allow you to specify the output device.

In general:
On either of those programs, dig through the settings and look for audio options, 'select output device'. Use that option to direct the output to where you want it to go.

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Two requirements.
1) The HDMI audio output must be a different hardware device than the other audio output.
2) At least one of the applications must have Audio settings that allow you to specify the output device.

In general:
On either of those programs, dig through the settings and look for audio options, 'select output device'. Use that option to direct the output to where you want it to go.

Solution

Tyson Wilde

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015

that works sort of . netflix is only some of the things she watches . i think VLC player will work

Tyson Wilde

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015

thanks im just going toy with vlc player and see if it works out

adamwinn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

VLC should have the setting. Windows Media Player classic does. View: Options: Output: Audio Renderer. good luck

ROKU has a bunch of things to pick from not just Netflix. Between that and Hulu you should have most things covered. VLC player may have changable sound options but that is for things played through it. I don't think you can setup Netlix to play through it as it runs in the browser with Silverlight.