How do I set default storage to SD card on Galaxy On5?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElemynt

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
As the title says I Want to change the default storage to the SD card on my On5 galaxy phone but am unable to figure out how. Please help

Solution
After extensive research, I have found that the Samsung On5 does not allow for the change. Which is just one in a long list of phones that actually don't allow it. So, it is kind of hit or miss with the phones. And it isn't just Samsung ones. Run into the same thing on other brands as well. Sorry folks, it just isn't possible on that device.
I suggested above that rooting the device might help but that comes with issues of its own. It can invalidate your Warranty, breach the terms of the contract you have with your Service Provider and in extreme cases, turn the device into a virtual brick.

Between them, the manufacturers and the service providers can rewrite a standard Android system to prevent you doing what the adverts say you can.

Drewsnutz

Commendable
Oct 12, 2016
Not that it helps much on this horrible phone, but only certain user downloaded apps can be moved to your sd card to save space. There is no way to find out until you download it. Go to settings storage apps view the app. Then see on the top next to the name click on it at that point it will either say storage with a dot next to internal, meaning you can change it to external by clicking on it or it will just state internal with no dot next to it meaning it cannot be moved. Honestly rooting and putting a custom software without the 4gb of bloat is the way to go

drnlp1

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
After getting very frustrated and giving up on being able to move apps to improve my internal storage, I figured out how to do it on accident. I am on the 6.0.1 version Galaxy On5. Not all apps can be moved to external storage but what I can move I am including my pics and videos.
Click on settings--Click on Applications--Click on Application Manager--
You will see all the apps on your phone. Pick which app you would like to transfer.
Click on the app--HOLD the "storage" button until the whole line "grays out" and opens. If the app can be moved, it will say storage used Internal Storage and the button CHANGE, press on change here and then click SD card, then move.
It is time consuming but will be worth it if you can update apps and such. I had resorted to deleting apps I used rarely off of my phone.
Shame on Galaxy for using so much of our internal storage with their operating systems but at least this will make me happier. I was about to resort to carrying my old phone with my favorite app and either using it only with WI-Fi or Hot spotting it to my phone when needed.
Hope this helps others.

dduringer

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
If one does not have those three dots when SD Card is selected, may that mean the manufacturer has restricted to option to make the card internal storage? I don't have those dots. If so, is there another solution? I do have the Samsung On5 phone with Android 6.0.1

After extensive research, I have found that the Samsung On5 does not allow for the change. Which is just one in a long list of phones that actually don't allow it. So, it is kind of hit or miss with the phones. And it isn't just Samsung ones. Run into the same thing on other brands as well. Sorry folks, it just isn't possible on that device.

Solution

dduringer

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Thanks WW. I did find one application that my On5 did give the change option. It was a guitar tuner, GuitarTuna. I was able to move it to my SD card. It was the only one of about 10 apps that had the change option available, but it did have it.

david_534

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016

rkn101

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Thank you all for helping out but all the options here doesn't work.
Here is what works... if you want to move apps from the internal to the SD (only some apps can be moved)..once the app is downloaded from the play-store you'll have to move each individually one to the SD....this is a pain in the rear-end.

And some apps can only run in the system folders. The manufacturers would prefer you to buy the latest model with higher storage capacity so why should they make it easy for you to extend memory with an SdCard?

The answer to the lack of space problem is best solved by moving all the pictures and all the music and any other stored files to the card, freeing up much needed system space.

Cdlman65

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
Don't know if you have figured it all out yet but if you willing to root your on5, get the app "root esentials" go into the settings of that app, find the storage tab and it will walk you through it. It also has an option to simply make your microsd card the default install space.

Hope this helps

Stuxnet

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

what do you mean by rebooting

Gioguy

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Well, it is going to depend on the version of Android the phone is running. If you are running the version with Lollipop, then it can't be done. However, if you are running the version using Android "Marshmallow" they you 'may' be able to do it. It depends on if Samsung has restricted it or not.

If you are running "Marshmallow" or can upgrade to it, then you should be able to try and make the change using the information below. NOTE: Make sure you are starting with a blank SD card. Why? Because if you are able to do as stated below, then it will format and encrypt the card, so anything on it would be gone.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

When I clicked storage, it brought me to internal storage and didnt give me the option to select SD card

As you said, Samsung may have blocked that facility and if they didn't, the service provider may have done so.

Many people have reverted to Internal Storage because a lot of their Apps can't work on the SdCard and have to be stored in the system folders so it was better use of the card to store photos and music, etc on it.

kjo1333

Prominent
May 8, 2017

How do I move photos and music to the sd card?

Selvam_2

Prominent
Jun 13, 2017

Thread closing PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.