How do I use HDMI-CEC to control external speakers

SJMaye

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
My Samsung UN65F8000 has HDMI ARC and HDMI-CEC. My understanding is properly setup I can use these technologies to control external speakers with my original OEM remote.

I want to connect my set of Logitech Z906 speakers to this tv. The only inputs are optical and coaxial. How can I connect these and still use my TV remote for the speaker volume? An HDMI ARC adapter box or something?

Solution
I also believe that one day Claudia Schiffer will ring my door bell when my wife is not home... And also believe that just because my car has cassette tape player, I should be able to insert VHS tape inside...

HDMI and CEC work between HDMI-connected devices. Your speakers don't have HDMI, and your TV' volume control does not affect (thanks, God) optical-out audio.

SJMaye

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009

Thanks, but that is not the direction I want to go. I want the external speakers to be controlled as if they were built in to the TV. This is why, I believe, HDMI-CEC and ARC would work thereby allowing the OEM remote to control the volume.

I also believe that one day Claudia Schiffer will ring my door bell when my wife is not home... And also believe that just because my car has cassette tape player, I should be able to insert VHS tape inside...

HDMI and CEC work between HDMI-connected devices. Your speakers don't have HDMI, and your TV' volume control does not affect (thanks, God) optical-out audio.

Solution
Sep 24, 2018
Probably you solved the problem in the meantime: the HDMI ARC adapter in any case is built for that and it supports both HDMI ARC and CEC for volume control.