How do I use regular headphones when I have a single jack on my laptop?

MikasaAckerman

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius laptop that has a single jack input. When I plug my headphones/earbuds in (they do not have a mic on them), I cannot use the mic on my laptop. How can I fix this?

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
you could try to wrap a thin strip of tape around the plug, so that the microphone pin (of the socket) does not get grounded when you insert the cable into the socket.

wrap a thin strip of tape to cover either the second ring contact area (mic/ground) or the sleeve contact area (ground/mic). one of the two should solve your problem.

yes, i know your headphones only have the Tip-Ring-Sleeve, but your jack is expecting Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, so the jack has two connectors where your headphones only have the Sleeve. one of those connectors in the jack has to be stopped from making contact.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
you could try to wrap a thin strip of tape around the plug, so that the microphone pin (of the socket) does not get grounded when you insert the cable into the socket.

wrap a thin strip of tape to cover either the second ring contact area (mic/ground) or the sleeve contact area (ground/mic). one of the two should solve your problem.

yes, i know your headphones only have the Tip-Ring-Sleeve, but your jack is expecting Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, so the jack has two connectors where your headphones only have the Sleeve. one of those connectors in the jack has to be stopped from making contact.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 2
Z Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 3
F Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 4
R Laptop Tech Support 7
S Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 1