How do I use regular headphones when I have a single jack on my laptop?

MikasaAckerman

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius laptop that has a single jack input. When I plug my headphones/earbuds in (they do not have a mic on them), I cannot use the mic on my laptop. How can I fix this?

Solution
you could try to wrap a thin strip of tape around the plug, so that the microphone pin (of the socket) does not get grounded when you insert the cable into the socket.

wrap a thin strip of tape to cover either the second ring contact area (mic/ground) or the sleeve contact area (ground/mic). one of the two should solve your problem.

yes, i know your headphones only have the Tip-Ring-Sleeve, but your jack is expecting Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, so the jack has two connectors where your headphones only have the Sleeve. one of those connectors in the jack has to be stopped from making contact.

130701-trrs.jpg

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
you could try to wrap a thin strip of tape around the plug, so that the microphone pin (of the socket) does not get grounded when you insert the cable into the socket.

wrap a thin strip of tape to cover either the second ring contact area (mic/ground) or the sleeve contact area (ground/mic). one of the two should solve your problem.

yes, i know your headphones only have the Tip-Ring-Sleeve, but your jack is expecting Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, so the jack has two connectors where your headphones only have the Sleeve. one of those connectors in the jack has to be stopped from making contact.

130701-trrs.jpg

Solution