How do people make money with free software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilal_3102

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I am just 14 and cannot find how do people make money with their free software.

I looked at many other forums but cannot find the answer that I really wanted. Many people said that they make money by selling their software to other companies but what if I have my own website and i wanted to publish my software on it then how am I going to make money with that. I want to start at my own without any sponsor.

Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanks in Advance.

Solution
part of it is the ads on the page that hosts it, other part is promotion and building oneself. give away a small program for free, get your name out, be recognized, and then when you develop something larger you can charge for it. it's like promoting yourself.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
normally it is through ads in the software. or most likely it is by collecting information and selling that info to others for money.

that's how most "free" software pays off is through data collection. this is why MS is pushing people to win 10 so hard. they are collecting and selling anything they can on you as part of the "windows as a service". they got tired of watching facecbook, apple, yahoo, google and all the others making all the money this way. so they joined in.

more than likely the sdk you're using will have ways already in place to add in this collection and probably even forwards it to the right place on its own. you just get your cut of the cash for letting others collect the data.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
part of it is the ads on the page that hosts it, other part is promotion and building oneself. give away a small program for free, get your name out, be recognized, and then when you develop something larger you can charge for it. it's like promoting yourself.

Solution

Mihael_1

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
It's made by all kinds of people. I would venture most of it is made by people who just like to make stuff that other people can use for free. Some probably use it to improve their resume. I do it because I like giving away useful free software. Admittedly, having it on my resume helps, but I would do it even without that benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.