How does a soundcard work

Philbobaggins11347

Commendable
May 31, 2016
I know this is a stupid question but I would like to know that if I plug my powered edifier r2000db speakers into the speaker port of an asus soundcard and my separate completely different powered subwoofer into the center sub port, will the soundcard automatically create a crossover and play sound the ought both the ports? The reason I'm asking is because I would like to buy a powered sub soon so those bass frequencies will really shine, so if you have any recommendations for a below $250 powered sub then that would be appreciated as well.

Solution
The answer is yes but not automatically.
You would have to set the PC to 2.1 in the audio driver control panel. The orange audio jack is for the center and the sub. Since it's a 2 channel connection you will only get bass out of one of the outputs.
In general you don't want a bandpass subwoofer. Boomy one note bass since all the sound comes out of a port. A downward firing sub can shake the floor but doesn't reproduce music well.
You want a simple forward firing woofer. Don't go to big. That can be overpowering around a PC rig or in a small room.
Polk isn't bad for the price. Dayton Audio makes a bunch of subs.
If you can find a used Paradigm or Rel subwoofer those would fall into your price range.
The answer is yes but not automatically.
You would have to set the PC to 2.1 in the audio driver control panel. The orange audio jack is for the center and the sub. Since it's a 2 channel connection you will only get bass out of one of the outputs.
In general you don't want a bandpass subwoofer. Boomy one note bass since all the sound comes out of a port. A downward firing sub can shake the floor but doesn't reproduce music well.
You want a simple forward firing woofer. Don't go to big. That can be overpowering around a PC rig or in a small room.
Polk isn't bad for the price. Dayton Audio makes a bunch of subs.
If you can find a used Paradigm or Rel subwoofer those would fall into your price range.

Solution