How long does Handbrake convert videos?

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I am converting "Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen" so I can put it on my Ipad 2.
My source is a "mpeg-4 @710MB" with a resolution of "800x320" and the length of the movie is about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
I used handbrake to convert it. I imported my original video file and selected the "Ipad" preset and clicked start.
The conversion took about 35 minutes to complete and the output file size is 1.44GB and the video has a good quality.

What I dont understand is why did the file grew larger? I was expecting it to be smaller because I was converting it for the Ipad.
And I was also expecting a faster conversion speed, like 15 minutes. Because my CPU is a Core i7 930 @ 3.06Ghz and my CPU usage is about 95 percent.

nikorr

Distinguished

Well, its because u selected the bit rate too high. Select size and it will be what u set.
20111012111430.gif

nikorr

Distinguished
It could be done in 2 minutes or 15hrs, but it depends on the file type, resolution of the file and set resolution of output file, and on advanced settings.

Post media info - size, type, resolution input and output, and are u using 2pass encoding?