How quickly does headphone technology progress?

Amywalker730

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
I'm trying to decide between buying a $200 - $300 pair of headphones and one in the $800 - $1,000 range. If technology improves like it does for hardware, the more expensive range seems almost like a waste when I can't see them physically lasting long enough for a suitably improved replacement to arise 5 years later. Then, I know virtually nothing about headphones apart from appreciating the immersion of quality sound.

headphone technology progresses slow. many top sellers are either long selling designs or are based on previous versions. there are certainly some new features but nothing worth worry about.

the $200-300 range will give you the best value in terms of audio quality. the $500 limit will expand on that but with less return. once you start pushing higher and higher in cost the performance difference is less and less per dollar extra you spend. also, remember you need a good source not just headphones or its all for naught.

if you take care of your headphones they can easily last you a long time if they are not abused. you might need to put some new pads on them but otherwise should be fine. some models will take more abuse than others. removable cables certainly help although if modding headphones for that its worth going balanced.

Yup, hell, sony first made their MDR V6 in '85, and when the sales started to drop off they stuck a new coat of paint, improved the band, stuck a "Professional" sticker on them, and rereleased the same thing as the MDR-7506! Headphones progress slower than microwave ovens, even camera lenses (not bodies, just lenses) change faster, and some of the best regarded models are 20 years old.

More expensive is definitely a waste when you need to consider everything else too (upgrade everything to sony's HiRes audio, buy new amp compatible with that audio, soundproof your room, etc) just to hear the difference

yep, even the beyer dt770/880/990 had its roots in the 80's. over the years somethings have certainly changed but much of the technology is the same or very similar with only small improvements. the biggest push recently has been "designer" headphones (aesthetically pleasing designs), removable cables and headset-headphones which really arent much of a performance push.

For certain families, higher numbers = higher durability with minimal change in sound. So HD518/558/598 should sound similar, but the 598 will be better built than the 518. You can't compare different families though, so you'll have to see real reviews if you want to compare a HD558 to an ATH-AD700X

thick stranded cables with good strain relief generally wear better than thin cables. removable cables can be nice as if you get a cable break you can replace the cable however comes with the negative of if you bang the connector around hard it places strain on the connector on the headphone.

example of thick cable with good strain relief http://kenrockwell.com/audio/audio-technica/ath-m50/D3S_7757-1200.jpg
example of thin cable which is more susceptible to damage http://www.highfidelityreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bose-around-ear-headphones-at-125-95.jpg

i've actually owned both the headphones above (those are not my photos) and despite owning the m50s for 3x as long i have no cable breaks. the bose set had a wire break within just 1-2 years. both were treated the same and wrapped up in a pouch every time and not abused.

next would be how rugged the swivel mechanisms are for the earcups are. while metal is nice they do not necessarily need to be as high strength plastic can be rugged as well. the m50 for instance is all plastic however despite that is very rugged and durable. similarly the mechanism for cans like the vmoda m80 which are all metal are similarly durable. cheap or thin plastic is what you want to avoid as this could break if too much stress is placed on them.

i would not worry too much about earcup cover material unless you're worried about scratches.

the headband could be an issue if made out of plastic or if placing much strain on it because of stretching to reduce clamp for larger heads or similar.

as for pads, pleather is cheaper but normally wears faster than leather and gets harder quicker. leather and pleather can be hot. suede is cooler but may not seal as tight and might affect bass levels. generally on most models pads are replaceable but you may want to check before buying.

honestly not much to say.. just look up some reviews mentioning how well built they are. you can pretty much tell by handling them in person if they feel cheaply built or not though.