How should this subwoofer be connected to my A/V receiver?

Daboa

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
I just got a subwoofer to use with my Insignia NS-R5101AHD-A receiver. I'm new to audio system setup and am not sure how this works. Based on the below, do I run an RCA from my receiver Pre amp to the sub's L/Mono input or not?

The subwoofer manual says:
"Some amplifiers have line output terminals labeled PRE OUT. When you connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals of the amplifier, make sure that the amplifier has at least two sets of PRE OUT terminals. If the amplifier has only one set of PRE OUT terminals, do not connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals. Instead, connect the subwoofer to the speaker output terminals of the amplifier."

receiver connections:
ikIKDXW.png

You connect the preout subwoofer (10)on the receiver to the mono input 2 on the sub. You don't need the other RCA input in your case.
You will also need to set up the receiver so it knows there is now a sub and will send the correct signals to all the speakers. In some receivers there is a mic and an automatic setup, in others you will need to go to the speaker setup menu, select sub (yes or on) and select front (large or small depending on whether they can handle some bass), center (usually small), rears (usually small).

Daboa

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Thanks so much for answering! Why then does the manual say not to connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT? And the speaker terminals on the sub aren't used at all? In what cases would they be used?

Daboa

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
While it makes intuitive sense to use an RCA connection from the output labeled 10 on the receiver to the L/mono input on the subwoofer, I'm still hesitant because of what the subwoofer's manual says. Could someone offer more peace of mind about this.

The manual says,
"Some amplifiers have line output terminals labeled PRE OUT. When you connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals of the amplifier, make sure that the amplifier has at least two sets of PRE OUT terminals. If the amplifier has only one set of PRE OUT terminals, do not connect the subwoofer to the PRE OUT terminals. Instead, connect the subwoofer to the speaker output terminals of the amplifier."