How the Internet Helped Find a Journalist's Stolen iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If it was actually stolen, just shut it down and go reset it with iTunes...bang, the phone is yours.
Iphones are the easiest to break.

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]How can that creepy looking dude on the right be a cop? Something is wrong with our society.[/citation]

Are you saying people should or should not be police based on looks alone? You are a shallow idiot.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
When my sister lost her phone, the carrier demanded $10 or $20 to turn on the GPS in order to find her phone. Since when do phones come with deactivated GPS by default?

Anyways, I was half-expecting the police to refuse to investigate due to some bureaucracy red-tape.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
So, company that is about to announce new product is suddenly misteriously "leaking" and "losing" stuff.

Very convincing story.

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
im sorry can you take away the sim card of the phone? or deactivate internet or gps?¿ because that means that you can find your phone, but anyone can find you, and i dont like that!

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]How can that creepy looking dude on the right be a cop? Something is wrong with our society.[/citation]

It's true then. People are stupid.

G

Great use of the police's time and tax payer money...
/end sarcasm

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
well this is a nice story, but most police dept are under budget and I rather have them going after a criminal then some dude phone demand cops check out a house because of pings. The thing that this might have done is gave the police dept in the area a little nice PR for finding a hipster phone, or solve a larger ring cases of phone theft.

How the phone got from Philly to Maryland is probably a case of iphone theft ring.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"police officer...stating that it would probably be a lot easier to get the phone back (for a multitude of reasons) if Mr. Pogue decided he didn't want to press charges."

Does anyone else find something wrong with this? Is this how the law is carried out in modern society?

Where is the news story for "police recover stolen phone and thief is sentenced to 2 years in prison"? Maybe that doesn't happen any more. Lawlessness continues to rise because there is no real law.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

Yea there is something wrong with society, idiots like you exist in it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zeratul600[/nom]im sorry can you take away the sim card of the phone? or deactivate internet or gps?¿ because that means that you can find your phone, but anyone can find you, and i dont like that![/citation]

THE GREYS AND REPTILLIANS WILL FINE YOUZ!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
typical f'ing cops trying to get out of doing their job when they don't want to, and only doing their job when it best suits them.
i'd get fired for this kind of job performance.
i'm surprised the FBI wasn't called as this did cross state lines into their jurisdiction.

innocent until proven guilty makes me wonder if this reporter didn't get drunk and hand his phone to some chick and tell her to go into the bathroom and take pictures of her boobs or various other naked pictures like my buddy did last night and never got his phone back!

the gps isn't working on it so my guess is it went down the toilet as i never did see the lass come out of the ladies room with it from where we were sitting.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]"police officer...stating that it would probably be a lot easier to get the phone back (for a multitude of reasons) if Mr. Pogue decided he didn't want to press charges."Does anyone else find something wrong with this? Is this how the law is carried out in modern society?Where is the news story for "police recover stolen phone and thief is sentenced to 2 years in prison"? Maybe that doesn't happen any more. Lawlessness continues to rise because there is no real law.[/citation]
Probably.
The problem is reality vs judicial reality: if you present charges you need to be able to demonstrate that in fact that was a thief, not someone who found the phone and was willing to restore it, but forgot to do so... In this case is much simpler do the "trick" (which in fact is not a new strategy where everyone wins a little: the thief dodges the prison, the reporter recovers its phone and the society doesn't need to go behind an expensive procedure for something that in best case could drive to steal judgement).

Status
Not open for further replies.