How to add additional sub to my HK Sticks 3

carponoid

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
Hi,

I have an HK 3 2.1 system, I love the speakers but the bass is not good enough as my living room is bit large for this system, so I am planning to add an additional active sub woofer (like Yamaha YSTFSW050BL) but I am not sure how to set it up.

The HK3 takes a 3.5 input , so am planning to split the output from my audio source - 1 for HK3 & 1 for sub woofer via 3.5 mm to RCA cable, but I don't know if the sub woofer will work without an amplifier or receiver? If it will not is there any way to make it work? I don't want to spend on amp/receiver as I am planning to get a mid range receiver in future.

I hope someone can understand what I am trying to achieve & clarify. TIA.

Solution
If you use a self powered sub you won't need a amp or receiver.
Splitting the audio out and connecting both the HK3 and sub will work.
I suspect it still won't fill up a living room. The sticks are designed for near field which means they expect them to be on a very close to where you sit rather than across the room.
The sub will work better when you get new speakers and a receiver so it's not wasted even if it doesn't help that much now.
If you use a self powered sub you won't need a amp or receiver.
Splitting the audio out and connecting both the HK3 and sub will work.
I suspect it still won't fill up a living room. The sticks are designed for near field which means they expect them to be on a very close to where you sit rather than across the room.
The sub will work better when you get new speakers and a receiver so it's not wasted even if it doesn't help that much now.

Solution

carponoid

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

Hi, thanks for clarifying, agree with you on the speaker part - but as you pointed this is just an intermediate solution until I replace the speakers with better ones. I am likely to buy the Yamaha YSTFSW050BL sub woofer - as it is on offer @ amazon, will that suit my purpose? Thanks again.