How-to: Adobe Premiere Pro cs6 - Convert 3:4 to 1080 16:9 and visa-versa?

michaellanfield

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I have 2 questions.

First it has to do with the trailer that I've created in Adobe Premiere Pro cs6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YzYyL3IeU

What I wanted was the video to be in full screen, but as you can see it is in ultra widescreen with black bars on top and bottom and I don't know why.

What I did was added a few 3:4 SD and 720 HD clips to the 1080 video and I just added them by stretching the clips to fit the screen. Then I went to export > media format (H.264) and output was set at 1920x1080 29.97fps and source was set at 1920x1080 (1.5), but the video on the left seems too narrow. I am not sure why.

I want to be able to create a full screen 1080 HD video as well as convert the HD video to DVD 640x480 video for people who still watch videos in DVD format and for youtube.

1. How do I import 3:4 size videos into 1080HD videos and lose the least quality and content?

2. I want to be able to export it to the highest quality 1080HD format and for the video to be able to play on full screen 1080 HD TV's?

3. Eventually export it to DVD 640x480 format to fit a regular 3:4 tube TV?

Thank you everyone.

Solution
You could try the Instant HD from Red Giant - http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/instant-hd/ - to get the SD and 720 HD clips to full HD. There is a trial version available. Try it and see if it helps. I haven't used it so I can't say how it will affect the quality of the video.

michaellanfield

Honorable
May 28, 2013

I'll try this thank you.

You're welcome. If you try it, and you don't mind, I would love to hear how it worked for you.

It's impossible to convert 3:4 video to wide screen without changing the image. You are stretching it to fit a wider aspect ratio. Do this, cut a piece of gum into a square shape. Draw a circle on it. Now try to stretch that piece into a wider format of gum without messing up how the circle looks. Even if you cut the strips of gum, then add new gum in between those to keep from messing up the lines, you will end up with gaps between the lines. If you fill in those gaps, you no longer have a circle.

You have a few options.

Use the TV/monitor scaling it full screen, but then you are distorting the image and possible cutting out the top/bottom parts. (like seeing the old pan and scan wide screen moves on a 3:4 TV, they zoom in to full screen but that causes the sides to be cut. If you do the reverse, try to fit a 3:4 video into a 16:9 screen, you will loose the top/bottom)

Use the software to re-code the the 3:4 to 16:9, then you are distorting the image by making everything appear wider.

Live with the bars and have the image look normal. Which is what a good broadcast station would do with a wide screen movie they want to look correct on a 3:4 TV set.

Solution