How to advise to download an application

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Hello all,
I have another question that's best aimed at moderators. I know, you guys are probably tired of me by now, but I have a legitimate question about how to do things here on the forum.

So at this thread here, a user (not stating name because I don't have any basis that they did anything against forum rules) suggested that OP download an application called CPU-Z. Now I know that CPU-Z is a very useful application. I'm not trying to discuss whether that user did the right thing or not... I'm trying to get an answer to the following question: When suggesting that a user downloads a specific application, should we provide an official download link? I mean, there are programs out there that are very useful applications and can be used to help identify the cause of symptom and assist users here on the forum, but if you get the download from the wrong site then you could end up with a virus or other malware.

I usually surround the name of the application in URL tags and link in the official download from the developer website. If the developers don't directly host, I move to sites that are generally regarded as being safe for application downloads.

All opinions are welcome.

-Darren

Solution
Providing an official download link when recommending an application is recommended, but by no means, required. We won't ever require anyone to provide a link (official or otherwise), that would just mean that the moderation team would now have to police each link provided.

The Internet is not a safe place and people should always be cautious when clicking on any hyperlink.

-Wolf sends
Providing an official download link when recommending an application is recommended, but by no means, required. We won't ever require anyone to provide a link (official or otherwise), that would just mean that the moderation team would now have to police each link provided.

The Internet is not a safe place and people should always be cautious when clicking on any hyperlink.

-Wolf sends

Solution

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

Yes, that's close to what I try to do. However, I have run into users that say the name of the application but don't provide a link, leaving OP to google the application and hope they don't get a virus.

However, I didn't realize how much of a logistical nightmare it would be for the moderator team until Wolfshadw mentioned it.

I appreciate the input.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I generally (but not always) include a link for 2 reasons:

1. "Do you have a link for that?"
2. "I downloaded that from Foo.com, and it was loaded with malware! You suck!"

What other people do, you cannot control.