News How to build a gaming PC for beginners: All the parts you need

Nightseer

Estimable
Jun 9, 2020
No offense, but are you pulling off one of those "just buy it" Tom's Hardware pulled off recently and went super well for them? Like RDNA2 is coming soon and Zen3 is coming soon. Unless this is to make Intel and nVidia happy, this guide should really be made after those come out to actually recommend parts based on reviews of everything. As is, if just feels like it got rushed out before arguments for Zen3 and RDNA2 can come out. Sorry, but it is paculiar timing.

Oct 13, 2020
This is less of a guide as a shopping list of what you bought.
  1. You didn't mention AMD CPUs
  2. You didn't discuss the importance of latency when selecting RAM.
  3. You didn't talk about making sure your power supply has an efficiency rating so it doesn't blow up.
  4. You could have saved at least $100 if you went with a smaller SSD and larger HDD and didn't even mention NVMe as an option. I hope no one wastes $1500 trying to copy this build.
This the Verge build in article form.

Reactions: xmarine2847
Oct 13, 2020
This is fine but I don't know about this being a "guide" per se. Seems more like a blog with a few helpful tips. Seems to focus more on the "why" for a singular, personal scenario. To be a proper guide, IMO, should go into more detail regarding choice of hardware, what specs to look for, how to check for compatibility, and offer more information on procuring them.

Having an article about picking parts and not mentioning certain specifics?:
I/O
Socket types and chipsets
RAM frequency, latency, and channel configuration
PSU efficiency ratings and TDP of components
M.2 drives (NVMe or SATA interface) drives and and their significant performance differences
Cooling methods and components...
I could go on.

I mean it's vaguely informative but again, more of a blog with tips and not really a guide.

Dec 14, 2020
I like you article. I first built a PC back in the 90s. It was a rewarding task that saved much money and churned out a superior PC. I've been thinking of going back into it and building another one which brought me to this article. I enjoyed reading it. I think it is a good "first part of a series" on how to build a PC - when will part II come out?