How to build a laptop?

Shavako

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but a friend of mine's computer recently got fried up. She's looking to replace it and I told her I could probably build her one. I'm pretty sure you can buy laptop cases with the keypad, screen, etc. but I'm not sure where I can find these things. I have built a few desktops so I have the general knowledge but what all would she be looking at purchasing? Is it just the barebones case, mobo, cpu, hdd, disk drive and ram? This is a new realm for me so any help is appreciated.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I'm not saying that it can't be done, but if so, the market is incredibly tiny because I've never seen any parts components other than the standard HDDs, RAM, etc for replacement. Engineering a laptop is very very tricky because of the efficiency and heat issues. I think you'd be better off buying one built.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
its gonna be big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

however, just for an historical note, when asus first started making laptops, first in asia, about 10 years ago, they sold barebones laptop kits, you bought the rest, and build to your flavor, so it has been done. but not practical in any sense nowadays

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I'd love to get a barebones AMD APU based system. I already have plenty of DDR3 SODIMMs, plenty of SSDs that are all 2.5" and my own software. I don't want bloatware. Easier to build the thing from scratch IMHO than to have to swap out and effectively waste a perfectly good HDD and insufficient memory...

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
there have been barebone laptop kits in the past, but it ends up being cheaper and having warranty to buy a laptop prebuilt...there is no standard for motherboards, wiring harnesses, part placement etc for laptops like there is for desktops. try googling msi whitebook...they tend to start in the 390-420 range and dont have processor, ram, hard drive.