how to change intel GPU to nivida GPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lau_1_

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
i just got my desktop checked today . Win 10(64 bit) , i5 6600@3.30 GHz geforce 1070 , 16 ram . i dont know why , my desktop is always using the intel(R) HD Graphics 530 instead of my geforce 1070 . my setting should be able to play battlefield 1 , ghost recon , WOTS , WOWS , now none of it is playable because of this . can anyone help ? open suggestions

Solution

Either use an HDMI cable or the HDMI to DVI cable that normally ships with that monitor to connect the monitor to the 1070. The 1070 does not support analog so to use VGA you'd need tro buy an active adapter, but since the monitor has HDMI there is no need to as an HDMI cable would be cheaper if you don't have the DVI to HDMI cable.
I know this is a slightly older post now, but thought I'd add a few points:
1) your monitor physically has THESE video inputs:
- 2xHDMI, 1xVGA (aka "D-Sub"), 1xDVI-D

2) HDMI is the best choice, and what you are using now just to CONFIRM that.

3) A major CONFUSION with DVI is that there are different types. For example "DVI-I" has both sets of pins for VGA and for DVI. The "VGA adapter" that attaches to DVI-I simply connects to those analog pins, whereas a monitors DVI cable connects to the digital pins.

4) VGA on a graphics card whether it's ONLY as a VGA, or via the "VGA adapter" means that the digital output (it's all digital from the main GPU processor) goes directly to a DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter).

So a modern monitor with VGA input (not old CRT "tube" style) would have a signal go from digital into a DAC, then out the monitor via the VGA cable then into an ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) before being converted via the scaler to fit the screen. Not really ideal and can cause some issues.

(You don't really need to know this but it's worth thinking about.. so the signal goes from DIGITAL to ANALOG then back to DIGITAL again).

5) **AUDIO**
Just FYI, but you can pass HDMI audio through the monitor to a stereo headset or stereo desktop speakers. I would normally just use the motherboard output straight to desktop speakers but it's handy if adding another device like a GAME CONSOLE.

6) In the FUTURE if you ask computer questions it's important to provide specifics. In this case you didn't tell us the monitor at first which would have solved your question so it sounded at first like it only had a VGA (D-Sub) input.

Hope your experience has been great since you fixed the issue.

7) **you have a GREAT computer but you'll still need to tweak game settings for some games to get the optimal experience. For example, if you aim for 60FPS VSYNC ON but drop below that every once in a while, then either adjust the game settings to maintain a solid 60FPS or force on "Adaptive VSYNC" for the game:

NVidia Control Panel-> manage 3d settings-> program settings-> add game->.... SAVE

Now monitor with FRAPS or Steam's in-game FPS counter. You should stay locked at solid 60FPS (if set to 60Hz), but if you drop below 60FPS you should get SCREEN TEARING instead of added STUTTERING (screen tear is because VSYNC is turned off automatically to avoid stuttering... one CON is that cut scenes lower than 60FPS, i.e. 30FPS, will now have screen tear because VSYNC is auto turned off).

CHEERS!!