Solved! How to conect my laptop to my tv

ilovelove

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
i have a philips tv & a hp laptop i dont know how to conect them since the laptop has a vga port& a s-video port with 7 pins; my tv has hdmi ports & s-video port with 4 pins
my tv's user manual says i can use an hdmi to dvi cable but my laptop doesnt have any of those ports & id like to know what kind of cables i can use since i dont wanna buy a converter box. Thank u!

Solution
The 7-pin port is not S-video, it's a compiled component output. You need an adapter to turn it into Y Pb Pr connections. Other than that (if your TV has a component input), you can't connect it to your TV, unless there are some other adapters I'm unaware of.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The 7-pin port is not S-video, it's a compiled component output. You need an adapter to turn it into Y Pb Pr connections. Other than that (if your TV has a component input), you can't connect it to your TV, unless there are some other adapters I'm unaware of.

Solution

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

actually its a 7 pin mini din, it carries both the s-video as well as the composite video

a regular 4 pin s video cable can connect to it just fine, so you can use this

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Well, if the S-video cable would fit, maybe. I'm not to privy on the details. I know I have a similar situation and I had to use an adapter / spliter to get s-video to work.

frozenlead

Distinguished

Uhh..no, they won't. I've tried it many times, the pinouts and connector shapes are different. Like I said, I didn't know there was an adapter for the compiled port, but I know it definitely won't work without one.

mindless728

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

and i know that i have done this, the pin outs on the 4 pins in the same position are the same, though i know people that have had problems with this with the cable not fitting the port